mods don't work

DontWorryBeHappy

Since I reinstalled Oblivion (and mods) mods that I used no longer work. I use OBMM to install my mods, and don't know muck about the technical side of things. I have SI and KoTN, and so far none of my mods work. Any possible reasons as to why this may be?

Some of the mods:

Lost Paladins of the divines

Adonnays elven Weaponry

Snow Dragon Temple

Castle Almgard

Doppler's Armoury

I don't know... sounds pretty vague, but some of my guesses are either you haven't updated Oblivion to its latest version, you need OBSE for some of those mods, or the files to the mods had been either moved around since your last install or have been corrupted. What I would do (after downloading and installing the latest official patch and the latest version of OBSE) is go to you data folder and check to see if everything lines up; meshes are where they should be, textures are where they should be...

If all else fails then try redownloading and reinstalling your mods. I hope this helps.

General Load-Order Guidelines

Here are the guidelines that I adhere to, personally.

~ Unofficial Oblivon Patch should always be first on the list. The fixes are great, but most aren't essential, so if a mod overwrites them its not a big deal, and the fixes have the potential for screwing up other mods if loaded later.

~ Offical Content (DLC's) should be loaded last, until you complete all quests associated with them (that includes buying all furniture for the houses and whatnot). Once they're complete, they can be safely moved up in the list. This is especially important for Knights of the Nine, which will have some fairly major problems unless loaded last (unless you get the UOP for KotN)

~ Major overhaul mods (OOO, Frans, MMM) should be loaded near the end. That gives you the most complete experience with any of those particular mods. It also lets you carefully choose which other mods to load afterwards... only move mods that you know will conflict and that you want the changes from. For example, I have Improved Soul Gems below OOO because I know that OOO changes the icons of some of the SG's, and ISG needs to be below to show through.

Some people will recommend putting larger mods first, but personally I disagree. There are a number of mods out there that make minor tweaks, and loading after a large mod will end up completely overwriting a chunk from one of the bigger mods because of the way conflicts work in Oblivion (even one minor change will take precedence over the entire record... for example, simply tweaking the speed of a weapon can cause every stat of that weapon to be retained to vanilla levels if loaded later).

So basically, it stacks up like this...

Oblivion.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch

<Minor Mods / DLC's (Post-Completion)>

<Major Overhaul Mod/Mods>

<Mods that specifically conflict with overhauls and need to take precedence>

<DLC's (Pre-Completion)>

Expanded Load-Order Guidelines

by dev_akm

I would extend this to include:

Oblivion.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch

<Weather/Environment/Sound Mods>

<Minor Mods/New Items/Houses/DLC's (Post-Completion)>

<Major Overhaul Mods>

<Mods that specifically conflict with overhauls and need to take precedence>

<DLC's (Pre-Completion)>

<Quests>

<Compatibility Patches/UOMP/Merged Leveled Lists>

And a special-case warning for Knights.esp (Knights of the Nine) -- you may not be able to move it earlier than some other mods (some people have had problems after moving it before OOO, for example).

That's basically the structure I use and I have 140+ mods working well together.

Another way of describing this (posted by DMan77):

Oblivion

unoffical patch

Deeper realism mods that add sights and sounds

added content like weapons/items

gameplay changes, like 'must eat and sleep'

The OOO type

the 'new begining' type mod..

Are you using Vista? Did you remember to log on as an administrator?

Did you install Oblivion in the default place? (Not good for Vista, OK for XP)

Quoted from the Oblivion Mods FAQ WIKI

Vista UAC Problems

Please note that Microsoft's new operating system (Vista), makes some security related changes that affect the use of the TES Construction Set. Specifically, any file that is located under the "C:\Program Files" directory is protected from being changed. If you have installed your Elder Scrolls game into the default directory, it will be affected by these security changes. The following is a list of how this affects the construction set and .ESP files:

[snip - parts relating only to Construction set]

[edit] Solutions to the Vista Problems

Alternate Install Directory

If you install your Elder Scrolls game into any directory OTHER than the default, none of these problems occur. Thus, you can bypass the Vista security issues by installing the game onto another hard drive or into a new directory that is not located withing the "Program Files" root directory (such as "C:\Games").

Run as Admin

Another way to fix it is to right-click the ".exe" file and click properties, then check "Run as administrator". Then click OK. Do this for both the "oblivion.exe" and "TESConstructionSet.exe", and any programs you are using that copies files to protected directories (such as WinRAR, 7z, or WinZip).

Disable UAC

Windows Vista users who are fairly confident in the security of their computers might also consider disabling UAC altogether. This will allow all programs writing privileges to the Program Files directory. Although this obviously creates a state of decreased security for your PC, it is a very helpful one-size-fits-all solution to a number of compatibility issues with the Vista OS.

Of these, solution #1 is STRONGLY PREFERRED. Solutions 2 and 3 (running as admin and disabling UAC) remove important safety features of the OS. In contrast, installing Oblivion elsewhere resolves the problems with Oblivion without reducing your overall security.

Wiki entry on installing Oblivion in Vista: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Windows_Vista

If you can't, or just don't want to reinstall Oblivion, try this.

Vista users may have to disable a security function known as UAC. If you have downloaded and installed, and the mod is appearing in your Data Files List, but not in your game check to see if UAC is turned on. If so. Look here for instructions on how to turn it off. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

Note that unless you opt to reinstall the game in a different location (option 1) when you start trying to make your own mods using the construction set, you will run into these problems again.

Thankyou for all of your help, and I apologise for being vague. I have a solution that I'm going through now, so I'll be deleting and re-downlading mods. It's not to bad, as I've already lost most savd data and I don't run vast quantities of mods and no large ones really.

I'll get back to you all on the results. Ta.

*sigh* i just tried to make sense of what i could in this thread and it just all is beyond me....i'm no techy i just like gaming but i always wanted to try these oblivion mods, i read most tutorials and everything but i can't seem to get things i really want to work to work correctly....i can use the body mods but can't seem to use the addons to change to the size i would like....part of the problem is i'm running vista which is REALLY frustrating and i'm considering just giving up on any mods like wigs ,clothing/armors, and of course race mods

also tried extracting in the data but from what i read i gus having the game in C drive is a big mistake....but when i place the game in D i can't get obmm to install at all....please can someone help me possibly step by step? i don't wanna give this up and i really wanna learn how to do things correctly

Archived