It's not "4 gen intel" (more like 20th, though I know what you mean), the proper architecture name is Haswell.

Useless really. I guess if you're buying a new PC, get the new 4660K and LGA1150. That's about it. 4660K has about 2% better performance than i5-2500K, amounts to a joke really.

Slightly better story with 4770K, as HT algorithms got tweaked, and the advantage over 2600K reaches 5%.

The 2500k-->3570k was pretty useless upgrade, and it seems same goes for 3570k-->4670k.

The only good thing I see about the new 1150 socket is that now you can find better audio from the mobos (Headphone amplifiers, switchable OP-amp, etc.).

The G1 Sniper M5 mobo has especially good audio solution. Same goes for Asus Maximus VI Impact that is an ITX board.

Edited by kalikka

They failed to measurably improve on desktop power consumption, though, and the graphics are still useless.

The one reason to buy Haswell is if you've got an old Core or at most Nehalem CPU and have to upgrade. Since the price's ~same for SB, IB and Haswell.

I think graphics aren´t that useless....I mean if you wanna a business PC for working with word/excel etc.. it's more that enought and you are saving money on a graphic card x)
I use my CPU for PhysX to distress my graphic card.....it wasen´t a good idea since I have a E6300, yes you heard it! that's from 2006
And I can handle medium graphics pretty well, I think I can even handle high graphics without mods xD

Is the solderless rumours true with the new Intel Sockets,or is that just for for pc's like the all in one built in kind??

Knowing this is a new chip??

remember this thread. googled for the article this came up.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/889378-intel-reportedly-prepping-soldered-desktop-chips-after-all/

Edited by Thor.

In the older generation only the atoms and celerons where available as solder on versions, but now the high end chips are available as solder version.

The graphics in the desktop versions aren't that impressive but the mobile processors have medium end graphics.

I think graphics aren´t that useless....I mean if you wanna a business PC for working with word/excel etc.. it's more that enought and you are saving money on a graphic card x)

Thing is, there is no free lunch. The integrated GPU in Haswell takes as much space as at least two CPU cores with cache or 4 without - for the size of an 8-core part, you get a 4-core part with iGPU.

Office apps would be perfectly well served by a much simpler integrated GPU, even a chipset part. Intel is trying to push into the multimedia/gaming market... and they aren't good at it.