adding switches to boot.ini

I'm running on Windows XP Professioanl X86 and rying to modify it to recognize more memory, in this effort i'm trying ot enable either the 3GB switch or Physical Addresss Extension. this is what the 3GB switch build looks like

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /noexecute=optin /3GB /fastdetect

my version for PAE looks osmething like this.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /PAE

are these accuret? which one should I use?

PAE doesn't work on XP SP2 and SP3. It's been disabled.

All you can do is attach paged memory via the virtual memory interface, as I described here.

/3GB switch is correct. Also, another option is /3GB /userva=2900, to be used if default /3GB isn't reliable.

Ah. The information is a little bit outdated because of the service pack changes. Regardless, doesn't hurt to have that switch in, it just doesn't do anything important anymore. /noexecute=optin is what enables PAE.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that Fallout stability with the /3GB switch may be affected. If that happens, /userva=2900 may help, but not always.

Edited by FMod