OOO or Nehrim?

tyranius

I've been wanting to get back to Oblivion, but I really don't know what to go with. I've been told OOO doesn't really feel that much different from the main game. Is that true? Also, please don't recommend me FCOM. I tried to install it a few years ago and it did not go well.

Actually, I'd think Fran's isn't much different than vanilla (means unmodded). OOO is different to vanilla and more aligned to traditional RPGs where you have certain areas you can't go to when youre level 1 because the enemies there will be like level 30. In vanilla Oblivion, you can basically go anywhere and know that most the enemies you face will be the same, slightly higher, or slightly lower level than you, but should be able to manage them. I'd also suggest looking into Marts Monster Mod (ie MMM). I use that one only myself.

Now Nehrim is a completely different experience altogether. No, literally, it's a completely different game using the Oblivion engine. If I'm not mistaken, it even puts it's game material in a separate folder. I've heard it's quite excellent and puts the Oblivion game to shame. However, the voices in the game are not English. They are German. Luckily, there is English subtitles. If that doesn't bother you, then give it a try. One warning though, a lot of mods don't work with Nehrim, so you'll have to do a little digging to find out which ones do. Psymon has a thread in the official Bethsoft forums about it and lists which mods are confirmed to work with it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

I've not played nehrim since it was released, but I remember it being much more like gothic 2 than a typical TES, so the experience will be much different. It just depends on what you're after. Nehrim IS excellent for what it tries to do.

If you're not after the Gothic experience, you should go for OOO, MMM and maybe even adding Maskar's oblivion overhaul as well.

If you decide to go for oblivion, you might find something to your interest in the post I made here.

Also look here for a (Outdated but still useful) comparison of some of the oblivion overhauls - link.

Edited by Oromish