Combat AI problem

TimeLadyKatie

So, I'm 150 hours into a save file and heavily mod so I'm assuming the file is just dying, but I'd like to try and puzzle out why this is happening.

Enemies don't go hostile when detecting me, but detection does function properly. If I repeatedly attack, I can get them to become aggressive, draw their weapon, then they immediately pacify. Their AI seems to function - they do idle animation, they interact with world objects, but they just will not engage in combat. So I don't think it's a floating AI issue. It also occurs in cells that have only like, eight loaded NPCs.

I've ruled out general mod interaction by loading a save at circa 40-50 hours and not having the problem, but from saves above 120 hours I can't really track where it is and isn't effective.

I'm not so much looking for mod x does y, I wanna see the back end and how it works. I'm just looking for where the problem COULD lie, to get a sense of where to look for myself, if that makes sense? I'm trying to get better at understanding why the game does weird things.

Do you use .NET Script Framework? It has a log section that can show if some mods are not loading properly. Have you simply retreated into an interior location, and waited 30 days? That allows the cells to all reset. I know that there is a resetai command, but I don't think that it is global in application, can only be used on one npc at a time.

There is a mod called Enhanced Enemy AI (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/32063). It makes a few simple changes to AI, and may help change your situation. You could install it in a backed up save, and see if it helps. It has its own .esp, so your total number of mods may be a factor.