Making Traits - Need some ideas for about four more of them.

scarycave

Hi, so you may be familiar with the trait system in the Fallout series. It's a system where the player has to choose two "perks" that have both a positive and negative consequence on the player, this system is strangely absent in Fallout 3.

So, I've been working a bit on my own system - so far I already got several of the traits remade for the game: such as gifted, four-eyes, good-natured, small frame, skilled, wild wasteland, etc.

They pretty much work exactly like in the other games, though some are renamed due to having become a perk -

The Finesse Trait is remade in to the Lucky Shot Trait for example.

The thing is, some traits can't be made due to limitations - such as fast shot.

So I pretty much have several spots open for traits that needs filling to make a total of 12.

I was wondering if anybody had some ideas for traits or traits they would like to see in game to fill up the rest of the empty spots.

Feedback and suggestions are greatly welcomed.

===================================================

//Traits already made and on the list (excluding wild wasteland)//

Here's a list so far:

- Gifted: +1 to all specials, -5 skill points when leveling up.

- Skilled: +5 skill points per level, exp earned reduced by 50%

- Four-Eyes: +2 perception with glasses, -2 without.

- Small Frame: move 25% faster, loose 25 points towards how much item weight you can carry.

- Heavy Handed: Deal an extra 10 damage with Melee and Unarmed. 50% less likely to deal critical hits.

- Good Natured: + 10 to speech, barter, medicine. - 5 to small guns, big guns, energy weapons, melee weapons.

(next)

-*Fast Shot: Your quite quick on your toes and even quicker with your trigger finger. All Vats attacks cost 50% less than normal, but you lose 2 points to perception while aiming in Vats.

- One Handed: You tend to do better with things one handed - you gain +10 to the small-guns, melee, and energy weapon skills when wielding a one handed weapon, but loose 10 points when using both hands.

-*Chem Addict: Chem effects last twice as long. Twice as likely to get addicted. (Spin-off of the chem traits)

-Hoarder: You gain an additional 25 points to your carry weight, but loose 1 point towards all Speacial's if your carry weight falls below 160.

-*Show Off: You like to show off in everything you do! You tend to do more critical hits but you also tend to recieve them much more often as your so caught up in your own performance.

* - Traits with a star next to them either had to be modified due to Fo3 geck limitations, or due to them having become perks in game - they may not have the same effect as they have in NV, or the previous games, but are heavily influenced by them.

//Note//

Wild wasteland has been removed - it will become its very own mod, I was never big on it having to take up a trait in NV anyways.

//UPDATE//

You will be able to remove, and change perks at anytime with the use of a debug item.

===================================================

//Made up traits that are already made but not added to the list//

-Sturdy:Your built like a house! You take less damage and your limbs are less likely to break - however medicine doesn't seem to work as well on your hardened body so you recover 25% less from stimpacks.

-Destroyer: You were built to destroy and not much else! You gain an additional 10 points to the small guns, energy weapons, big guns, and explosive skills, but loose 10 points towards speech, barter, and medicine.

-Grease Monkey: They may call you old fashioned, but you like it that way! You gain 10 skillpoints towards the small guns and repair skills, but loose 10 points to energy weapons, and science.

//Traits that may be added//

Killer: Your brimming with charisma - but we all know that's just to mask your true intentions as a killer! You gain +2 charisma, and +5 to speech, and barter, but you must kill at least ten human characters a day or suffer -20 points to speech and barter, as well as -2 points to charisma.

Dry Skin: Your skin is dry and sadly moisturizers have stopped being produced since the war. You gain +5 damage, poison, and radiation resistance, but you need to submerge yourself in water to keep keep your skin moist or else suffer a 5 point penalty to all those nice resistances.

Edited by scarycave

Why can't you use fast shot? It seems to me that is nothing more than an AP bonus in VATS combined with a perception decrease. What about ham fisted? True, many of the traits have been replaced by perks, but no matter.

Why can't you use fast shot? It seems to me that is nothing more than an AP bonus in VATS combined with a perception decrease. What about ham fisted? True, many of the traits have been replaced by perks, but no matter.

The thing with fast shot is, that it increases the rate of fire in New Vegas - which is something the Geck can't do. There doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the rate of fire with the use of an ability or effect, I think there's some globals that have to do with the fire-rate and condition, but that would most likely cause problems due to load orders. I actually have it in - with the description and perk. I'd gladly put it in if I could find a way.

Alright, I think this mod is almost ready to release. I've been reading somethings about removing perks for people who want to uninstall a mod that gives a new perk that I need to do. Thinking of setting up some kind of machine that removes traits, and lets you re-pick them.

The traits are chosen from a messagebox, so its kind of...meh...right now. All the traits seem to be working fine, the list works fine, but you only have so many slots and before you have to click [next] or [back]. Wish I could make a list like you do with the tag skills but I don't think that's possible.

Okay, so I managed to get it going smoothly. You see, I had it on a quest script before - making the message pop up and everything, so when you would click a perk or click [next] or [back] it would wait five-seconds before popping up again. Then taking an additional five seconds to activate the trait.

After playing with the slot-machine and experimenting on making lamps you can turn on and off, I realized that object scripts go so much smoother. So a little code snip there, a code paste there, and presto - it's rigged to throw an object at the player and then said object pulls up the trait message, and now it goes super quick. :)

If anyone wants any other traits, now is the time to suggest them because this puppies just about done and ready for testing.