Priority Question

LoginToDownload

If you hit someone with a hostile spell that drops the victim's responsibility to 0 in a ScriptEffectStart block, does it send a Crime alarm or not? Also, I can't imagine it would, but if that ScriptEffectStart block gives the victim a scripted item that then drops the responsibility to 0, would the alarm send?

It's not crucial by any means-I can always run tests-but if someone already knows, it would save me a lot of hassle.

Not sure on this since drastic changes to responsibility, especially making it lower than 20, can have some unwanted effects (npcs stealing, getting caught, and half the town being killed from the resulting skirmish due to how those NPCs are related to others through factions (essentially why Bethsoft decided to scrap most of the radiant AI)), but believe it is the same issue as with any hostile action. The action is recorded before anything such as scripting takes place, meaning that an alarm would be triggered, combat initiated, and then the scripting would run. With a responsibility of 0, NPCs will still attack you if you attack them (hostile spell). Unfortunately, by nature of it being a hostile act (disposition loss) and by lowering responsibility, the resulting attack might not be something you can get out of since NPCs will attack you if their responsibility and disposition is low enough.

Ah, well. Can't really think of a worthwhile way of working around it sending the alarm first. The idea was to make Silence more interesting by actually having it prevent communication.

Thanks for the help. You probably saved me a lot of frustration. :P

Hmm, the only thing I could think of for that would be to use a non-hostile scripted spell which adds silence, or change the hostile flag of silence to make silence non-hostile (technically doable, just not possible through normal methods, not really sure on this one myself).

*edit*

You can change those hidden flags with tes4edit, however it didn't seem to work when I tried it just now. Still might hold some option. You could also try and take things from the dialogue perspective, adding a condition which disables crime dialogues if the NPC has silence on them.

I'm not at all clear on the relationship between Crime dialogues and alarms, but the plan was for most all dialogues to be overridden by a high priority blank dialogue when silenced. If you add conditions to the other alarm ones, would that actually do it?

It might, but there is still the initial disposition hit, crime count, and aggression from assaulting someone, which is really the crux of the problem. Try changing the flags with Tes4Edit, if that doesn't work, you may need to use a purely script based approach. Not that hard to have a scripted effect which adds an ability on start, and removes it on finish. Chances are that no matter what, this might not work too well with existing spells.

I don't really care about any of that. I mean, Silence is a hostile effect. Hitting any old NPC with it is very much an Assault, and the changes would revert once the effect ended.

Creatures can report crimes too, though, if they have a decent Responsibility. I guess I'd have to do it the roundabout way, but unless "set MySpell to MyActivator.cast MySilenceEffect" is valid, I hit the same old problem of the victim ignoring the attack.

Archived