Trying to understand

MajorCyco

They have a pretty good idea how it will work. There's still a beta phase that will fine tune it.

What they don't know is how successful it will be at bringing in new users. They aren't psychic, but they are optimistic. Optimistic enough to risk turning the whole place upside down over this.

Ah. And are you affiliated with them? Out of curiosity

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a pretty good idea how it will work. There's still a beta phase that will fine tune it.

What they don't know is how successful it will be at bringing in new users. They aren't psychic, but they are optimistic. Optimistic enough to risk turning the whole place upside down over this.

I don't know that showler is anything other than a mod author.

To address your concerns over the collections damaging your file, from my understanding they are just a list of mods that whichever app uses to download the files (wabbajack, automaton, vortex etc) They don't change your files but they install patches that make your mod compatible with any other mods on the list. Mod lists have been out there for awhile but can become broken when an author removes a file or files.

That being said, I am not against collections being used. I am however against losing a mod author's right to delete in favor for someone else seeing as we are the ones coming up with said mods and they are our art work and intellectual property.

Â

Â

Â

Â

I don't know that showler is anything other than a mod author.Â

To address your concerns over the collections damaging your file, from my understanding they are just a list of mods that whichever app uses to download the files (wabbajack, automaton, vortex etc) They don't change your files but they install patches that make your mod compatible with any other mods on the list. Mod lists have been out there for awhile but can become broken when an author removes a file or files.

That being said, I am not against collections being used. I am however against losing a mod author's right to delete in favor for someone else seeing as we are the ones coming up with said mods and they are our art work and intellectual property.Â

Same. I would be rejoicing right now about this, if Robij wasnât being such an inconsiderate dictator about this.

Â

Â

Â

Â

I don't know that showler is anything other than a mod author.Â

That being said, I am not against collections being used. I am however against losing a mod author's right to delete in favor for someone else seeing as we are the ones coming up with said mods and they are our art work and intellectual property.Â

Same. I would be rejoicing right now about this, if Robij wasnât being such an inconsiderate dictator about this.

@Brabbit1987,

I think you have to understand that the reason I am on Nexus' side is because I have seen what can come out of modding communities when they work together instead of against each other.

Nexus isn't a part of the community, it's just a hosting business. The community I'm in (Fallout New Vegas), works greatly together and Nexusmods is irrelevant. Assuming it bankrupts today, so of us would have to relocate their files, and tomorrow we'd keep on being happy together.

And who is asking you to see "how" ? That's not your decision to make.

Right, but giving it some sort of explanation on how, can help me to understand.

Here. I had to spend my own time because a user was following deleterious advice about an old version of my mod.

If it's about support, like if you don't want to deal with getting massaged about a version you have not worked on in a while, just say you dropped support for it ... right? Rather than taking it away, just tell them they are on their own.

It's not that easy because users can often be oblivious to the fact they are using an old version. (Sadly, some users are well aware of this fact and they still choose to hide it, hoping its irrelevant)

There are known examples of services that had offered deals to mod authors.

Ok, then just name one. Cause it's news to me.

ModDrop offering a deal to Elianora to let them retain her mods at ModDrop. And of course, www.steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent

Nexus isn't a part of the community, it's just a hosting business. The community I'm in (Fallout New Vegas), works greatly together and Nexusmods is irrelevant. Assuming it bankrupts today, so of us would have to relocate their files, and tomorrow we'd keep on being happy together.

Not to try and offend you or anything, but I think this is a bit of a fallacy. Because I never argued that Nexus is or isn't part of the community. Basically, you are arguing against a point I never made. When I spoke about working together, I meant working together to improve things. Nexus as a site is indeed irrelevant in that. But the thing is, what Nexus is trying to do ... is improve things. At the moment, some just disagree with the method they are going with, where as I personally agree. But it could be any other site, and I would still stick up for it because I think it's a great idea.

Here. I had to spend my own time because a user was following deleterious advice about an old version of my mod.

I don't know if this really answers my question. As I feel like something like this can happen either way. As in if someone only updated some of their mods but has some outdated mods too. Plus, a simple solution for something like this is to ask for their full modlist including mod versions. I always feel like that should be one of the first questions asked, because then you can determine if any of their mods are outdated that might be causing the issue. Alternatively, you could say that you don't support older mod versions, and suggest they update their load order entirely if they would like help. It just ... I feel like there are a lot of solutions to this problem that don't require deleting older files.

It's not that easy because users can often be oblivious to the fact they are using an old version. (Sadly, some users are well aware of this fact and they still choose to hide it, hoping its irrelevant)

Which brings me back to my first point. This can happen even if you do delete the files. Because deleting them doesn't delete it off of everyone's computer. Anyone can keep an old version installed for really any length of time.

ModDrop offering a deal to Elianora to let them retain her mods at ModDrop. And of course, www.steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent

What is the context of the ModDrop thing? Because if it was so they can retain her mods, it sounds more like a bribe than what we are talking about here lol.

And as for paid content on steam, that is also a bit different than what we are talking about here at least ... I think assuming we we are on the same page, but maybe not. As paid content requires users to buy the mod ... correct? Not really the same thing as Nexus kind of just donating to mod authors and creating a point system and all that.

Although, it's already been established that mod authors pay Nexus for premium so it kinda negates their contribution a bit and negates my point on this matter almost entirely.