Serana bug?

Cobwebmaster

I've completed Dawnguard as a member of the Dawnguard and have Serana as a companion. I've asked her about curing herself of vampirism and she says she needs to go away for a bit. However Serana returned to my mansion in Solitude and just sits there drinking up my supply of mead instead of going to see Falion as expected. Every time I approach and talk to her I get a one liner saying that she will be sorting herself out at some point but nothing happens. Can't make her follow me or do anything! Any suggestions?

I've completed Dawnguard as a member of the Dawnguard and have Serana as a companion. I've asked her about curing herself of vampirism and she says she needs to go away for a bit. However Serana returned to my mansion in Solitude and just sits there drinking up my supply of mead instead of going to see Falion as expected. Every time I approach and talk to her I get a one liner saying that she will be sorting herself out at some point but nothing happens. Can't make her follow me or do anything! Any suggestions?

no solution except just deop her and move on

i Found serana probably the most bugged npc in the game

nor is she that good i usually send her away during the DG quest lines except for those few she is essential

besides she is a vampire and jusy as evil as her father altho ibn a different matter

as a ancient vampire she must hav fed on countless of inocent victims to survive and that makes her in my opinion evil

nor is she that good i usually send her away during the DG quest lines except for those few she is essential

besides she is a vampire and jusy as evil as her father altho ibn a different matter

as a ancient vampire she must hav fed on countless of inocent victims to survive and that makes her in my opinion evil

*sigh* gonna have to make a type-moon reference here...

meet Arcueid Brunestud, she (similar to serana) is a vampire, but she (unlike serana) is something referred to as a true ancestor.

now despite being a "vampire" arcueid is not inherently evil, and even goes through great efforts to not feed on the living (despite being weakened because of plot.) (if i were to give her an alignment, it would likely be chaotic good)

now, serana is more-so a victim of fate. both her parents are obsessed with either opposing each other, (or their own ideals) and she happens to be caught in the middle. i can see her mother's reasons for locking her in that cave (though i think it was more to defy harkon than protect her. {something tells me she drinks blood potions. just a hunch, but you never actually see her drink someones blood unless you ask her to turn you}), but her being a vampire (a condition) and her alignment (chaotic good/chaotic evil, depending on which path the player takes) are two different things.

its like saying the silver hand is a good group for hunting werewolves, or worshipers of azura (aka the dunmer race) are evil for worshipping daedra.

Edited by gingersnapples

I rather suspected that was the case. All I want to do with her is send her back to the Dawnguard castle but I guess she can just stay in Proudspire Manor scoffing all my food and drinking mead . No big deal, but as you say it's irritating having such a buggy character hanging around the place. There there are plenty of other followers available . Also irritating that her bugs haven't been ironed out yet, After all Dawnguard has been around for a while and Serana's obvious defects must be well documented by now. Like you also I preferred to leave her out of my party when I could. I only took Serana with me to see if I could get get her to cure herself of vampirism

Thanks

wierd how personal taste and opinion can have such a impact on t our perceptions toward pixelated characters

i know she is well done and probably the most developed npc in the game

but i just dislike her even when playing as a vampire i do

Serana is one of those characters you completely fall in love with or you absolutely can't stand

it is almost like Vilja

i don't like the whole questline and all that running around for her but she is so well done that each time i see her large bambi eyes i fall for it ad continue on the quest line

Yes Vilja developed further from the character in Oblivion does come across in the way you describe, but as an RPGer weaned on Baldur's gate Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age and Mass Effect I tend to look at Bethseda's efforts with a somewhat jaundices view. Now if only it were possible to make both the PC and NPC's like Vilja, Sarena, Caerwiden, and so forth more closely interactive that would be great. Difficult for modders because of the voice acting thing but for Bethseda? Serana irritated me with her constant complaining about daylight, and then when you got her into a cave or a dragr filled tomb she bitched about that as well. This is from someone who has been incarcerated for hundreds of years and after a brief bout of "There'a a real world out here". The carping starts

Not getting excited about pixellated characters no matter their chest dimensions, but if you are going to create a character put one together that has real identifiable moralistic traits and a personality and charisma you want to explore and develop the true sense of Role Play

My view is that Skyhrim identifies itself as an RPG but pays little more than lip service to the concept. Modders it seems are the only contributors who at least try and adhere to the basic rules of immersive role play

Yes Vilja developed further from the character in Oblivion does come across in the way you describe, but as an RPGer weaned on Baldur's gate Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age and Mass Effect I tend to look at Bethseda's efforts with a somewhat jaundices view. Now if only it were possible to make both the PC and NPC's like Vilja, Sarena, Caerwiden, and so forth more closely interactive that would be great. Difficult for modders because of the voice acting thing but for Bethseda? Serana irritated me with her constant complaining about daylight, and then when you got her into a cave or a dragr filled tomb she bitched about that as well. This is from someone who has been incarcerated for hundreds of years and after a brief bout of "There'a a real world out here". The carping starts

Not getting excited about pixellated characters no matter their chest dimensions, but if you are going to create a character put one together that has real identifiable moralistic traits and a personality and charisma you want to explore and develop the true sense of Role Play

My view is that Skyhrim identifies itself as an RPG but pays little more than lip service to the concept. Modders it seems are the only contributors who at least try and adhere to the basic rules of immersive role play

I agree with all of the above, having played NWN, ME, and DA myself. However, despite the flaws, Serana is still the most developed character Bethesda has ever created. That's more of a negative point against all of Skyrim's other NPCs than it is a point in Serana's favor, however. Skyrim's NPCs are laughably one-dimensional. At least the followers or marriage options should be unique, fully voiced, and well written, but Bethesda didn't even develop those characters. TES is primarily a solo game for lone wolves... Modders once again pick up the slack to make it more well rounded and interesting as an RPG.

I had a *similar* bug with Serana. She went to Falion's house, but stayed there for multiple weeks draining his supply of mead instead (and she ate all his bread), and when I came by periodically to check on her she gave me the same line you got. I believe she finally did the ritual after I went to Whiterun and waited for 4-5 in game weeks. If that fails, there's probably a console command to manually advance the quest. If neither of those options sounds good to you, the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch might fix it.

Edited by Rennn

Thanks for the tip GI on Serana and her attack of the vapours. I agree with your overall analysis. I am reminded of a simple exchange in ME3 between Shepard and the reporter Diana Allers in Shepard's cabin which illustrates the point I think we are both making. Allers: "Keep feeding me like this Commander and I might have to take you home" Shepherd (2 conversation response options): "I'm ok with that" or "Lets just keep this in front of the camera". Depending on the response the relationship develops accordingly, but ultimately you can only have a romantic relationship with one NPC as once you commit to an individual the others drop out but still remain as friends and/or comrades and develop as such. Skyrim doesn't bother. You can marry pretty much anybody you've either employed, had assigned to you as a servant, simply done a favour for, or beaten up in a fistfight - yeah right get the sappy muck out of the way while we concentrate on the real issues which are? There lies in my view the difference between a really good game and an exceptional one for role players at least

ohh but i understand and mostly agree with your views on npc s in this game

but in this decade of console games make more money

we can only foundly remember great npcs like minsc and boo the miniature giant spacehamster and their sometimes hillarious quotes and dialogues

seeing how many people that actually worked on the vilja mod i sometimes feel sorry for the creators of some of these followers mod , they make this great looking npc male and female put all their time love and care in it and basicly end up with a one dimensional character, because of the limitations of a console game

So there we have it - No chance of dynamic personalities like MInsc and Boo!!

What???? Boo is outraged! See his fury! It's small, so look close. Trust me, it's there!

Minsc would have made an perfect Nord "Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads. Swords for everyone!"