Horrible FPS in Cities. High End Computer.

CamonnaTong

First of all, my specs are as follows.

• i7 2600k
  • Nvidia GTX 770 4GB
  • 8 GB 1600 MHZ RAM
  • Windows 7 64-bit

It really only has that low FPS in areas with a high NPC count, for example, Balmora. I have MGE XE and it runs 60 FPS with 50 cells loading for Distant Land when not in the city, or at least a few hundred feet above the city. I've been having this problem for some time, and I really want to get back into Morrowind. In the city it runs 15 to 20 FPS, which it shouldn't. (That's my Steam one, I have MGSO 3.0 on my Disc based one, but it runs at 8 to 12 FPS) I've tried everything I can think of, changing stuff in the compatibility settings like Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings, and quite a bit more. I can run pretty much any game at max, and Skyrim I have FXAA with over 150 mods and 2k textures, and the FPS is still at 60. Maybe Morrowind just hates my CPU as I upgraded to my current video card from a GTX 560, and there was no difference in the city.

Here's my load order, not that it really matters though, I have went through each mod, and even disabled quite a bit of them, and it still runs bad.

Morrowind.esm
Tribunal.esm
Bloodmoon.esm
Rise of House Telvanni.esm
MCA.esm
TR_Data.esm
TR_Mainland.esm
Morrowind Rebirth 2.31 - Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta [Rebirth Edit].esm
Book Rotate.esm
GDR_MasterFile.esm
abotWhereAreAllBirdsGoing.esp
BB_Clothiers_of_Vvardenfell_v1.1.esp
ExpandedBirthsigns4Purists.esp
New Classes V7.esp
Westly's Master Headpack X.esp
Guild Salaries.esp
Art Of War Museum.esp
Clean To Serve Sithis_.esp
Drow_Signs_v2.1.esp
Westly_Presents_BB_Almalexia_Add_on.esp
abotGondoliers.esp
abotBoats.esp
Staff agency CoV.esp
Building Up Uvirith's Legacy1.1.ESP
MCA - Guards Patch.ESP
Morrowind Rebirth 2.31.ESP
Armor Mannequin.esp
MWE_Blocking.esp
Book Rotate - Tribunal v5.3.esp
chain_armor_set.esp
NerevarArmor-v30.esp
The Imperial Legion Badge.esp
Homes To Let v2pt0.esp
Ald-Ruhn game of three cups.esp
beware of pickpockets! 1.4.esp
Bounty Hunters 1.1.esp
Brigands 1.1.esp
Camonna Tong's violence 1.2.esp
Chariots.esp
Clerical Robes.esp
Enchanting Desk.esp
Living Statues of Malacath.esp
Scrolls and SoulGems 1.1.esp
Nerevarine_castle.esp
Spok_Paintings_Pack_1.esp
ARJAN_A_Lords_Men_v2.0.esp
Moon-and-Star.esp
Flee AI Tweaks.esp
Book Rotate - Bloodmoon v5.3.esp
Book Rotate - Morrowind v1.1.esp
Illuminated Order v1.0.esp
Illuminated Order v1.0 - Bloodmoon Compatibility Extras.esp
Class Abilities 3.1.esp
Scripted_Spells.esp
Ownership Indicator.esp
Charming Ash Vampires.ESP
Oread Race.esp
GoD MoD.esp
Morrowind Code Patch Showcase.esp
Clean Royal Chargen.esp
Uvirith's Legacy_Final_2.0.esp
Psy_VivecGodReplacer_Tribunal.esp
UL v2.0 RoHT v1.52 Compatibility.esp
Clean_Staff_Agency1pt0.esp
Morag Tong Armor.esp
Antares' Tribunal Main Quest 1.2.esp
DA_Sobitur_Facility_Clean.ESP
DA_Sobitur_Quest_Part_1 Clean.esp
DA_Sobitur_Quest_Part_2 Clean.esp
DA_Sobitur_Repurposed_1.ESP
Unique Jewelry and Accessories.esp
Antares' Big Mod 5.6.esp
Moonmoth Legion Home 1.2.esp
DrakeKnight.esp
MELDunmerAddon.ESP
MCA - COV Addon.esp
Sotha Sil Expanded.ESP
DA_Sobitur_TRIngred_Compat.ESP

I'm the author of Rebirth and I'm pretty sure it's the one causing these slowdowns in Balmora.

As for the Rebirth esp:

If you're familiar with the construction set I'd advice you to remove some misc statics in Balmora, as that's the primary source of the slowdowns. Perhaps it would help if you removed some of the NPC's too, preferably the stalls and the NPC's in the poor quarters. Even then you might have slowdowns, but due to Morrowind not having multicore support an i7 won't help you much.

I will continue to investigate if there's anything else that might cause these slowdowns in Balmora or if it's a vanilla issue.

Edited by johanrosen

It added about 5 more FPS, total of 22. So it's not the real problem. There's still something else that is causing the FPS to go that low, and as I said, I don't think it's any mod at all. After all, removing every mod only gets me a total of 27 FPS at max. It's definitely something else. Also, it's not just Balmora, it's Ebonheart and pretty much every other town. Ebonheart makes it to 22 FPS at the docks.

Morrowind was released in 2002. Then multithreading and all the new processing techniques were in its infants. So it doesn't utilize the full potential of your PC and it is CPU centric.MGEXE slightly corrects this, but still there is only so much it can do.

Now coming to the problem, usually the biggest drain will be Distant Land and shaders. Reduce the Distant land to around to 10 or 15 and test.

PS Slowdown in Balmora, SadrithMora, Ebonheart is present not because of mods but due to presence of large water body and presence of many NPCs. Its present even with vanilla Morrowind. Morrowind Rebirth adds lot of detail to these places, so it sticks out.

There's no difference for me between 50 cells for Distant Land, and even 4 cells of Distant Land in these areas. Because outside of cities, it's always 60 FPS even with 100 cells of Distant Land, but even with deactivation of Distant Land, I still lag bad in the cities.

• 7 months later...

I know I'm like 6 months late to the party here but for any future readers I'd just like to point out that I had a NVidia 275 gtx that ran morrowind just great, but as soon as I upgraded to the 770 gtx 4gb model (the same card as previously mentioned) I started having unreasonable performance drops while playing. It must be something with new cards that morrowind doesn't like.

Sorry to revive an old thread, just thought this may be helpful for someone somewhere.