Which Mods are Knackering my Rig?

uncleseano

Heya, new to these forums and skyrim modding in general. I went on a modding frenzy on this play through and I'm starting to notice slow downs in parts when playing.

I started lowering graphics and resolution etc but then nVidias optimal game settings are set to ultra full etc so its gotta be the mods. Which ones are the worst system hogs? And which could go for the best performance boost?

Warzones.

My computer can handle almost any mod, I use all the best HD textures, on the highest possible settings, with crazy ENBs, and over 160 mods mostly with lots of scripts, and my game generally runs fine. Every now and then I'll get a second two two frame drop in the woods, and the occasional crash, but altogether it works fine with little to no lag.

But when I installed Warzones, I lagged like crazy, crashed 4-5 times as often, and generally just couldn't play anymore. This mod is great, and works well if you have very few mods installed, but with lots of them it gets problematic QUICK.

I would suggest uninstalling it through the proper installation method described by the maker of the mod, and seeing if it fixes your game. If you uninstall it 'wrong', it likely won't fix much.

Any other ones, I've got like two texture packs and armour packs etc....

It feels like I should really be getting more outta this

AMD FX 6100 Six Core 3,3 Ghz

8100 MB Ram

GTX 560 ti

Texture and armor packs have almost NO effect on decent RIGs. If you can run skyrim on Ultra, you can usually install all the texture packs you want.

Spawning is what lags computers the worst by a landslide, and warzones does TONS of spawning.

8100 MB Ram

GTX 560 ti

Texture and armor packs have almost NO effect on decent RIGs. If you can run skyrim on Ultra, you can usually install all the texture packs you want.

Spawning is what lags computers the worst by a landslide, and warzones does TONS of spawning.

No way my friend :wink:

Installing a lot of high res textures crashes you game very easily no matter your rig... application is 32bit, it uses DirectX9... it has huge limits in the amount of memory it can address and how it's handling memory overall (RAM and VRAM)

8100 MB Ram

GTX 560 ti

No way my friend :wink:

Installing a lot of high res textures crashes you game very easily no matter your rig... application is 32bit, it uses DirectX9... it has huge limits in the amount of memory it can address and how it's handling memory overall (RAM and VRAM)

yea, i've got to second Prod80. I don't have a beast-of-a-rig or anything, but pretty decent ;)

My experience with HD textures (especially with 4k once), you'll eventually reach a ceiling, whereby the next HD tex you install, it will start causing crash due to a lack of vram.

Thats my 2cents :)

True if you don't have the highest end rig installing way to many HD textures can cause issues, but the 'ceiling' is generally just another one of skyrims quirks you can fix with the right edit, i have 16gigs of memory on a semi-high end rig not much better then yours, and I use ini edits to get skyrim to use about half of it(about twice what the 'ceiling' is), basically meaning textures don't cause any lag. I use probably 25-30 texture packs, most of them 2k-4k, basically everything in my game is 2k.

My point was with the amount you have installed textures should not be the problem. Your rig is not really 'high end' but it should definitely be able to handle at least the 2k texture pack and AMDs book of silence (Two of the biggest and best high res packs out there) I meant to say "THOSE texture packs". Obviously, if you install every 4k texture pack you can get your hands on you'll eventually reach a point your computer will throw in the towel, even if it's a total beast.

Textures are easy to test though. If you have HD ones installed, just go into your texture folder, move them (don't delete them so you can move them back if you want to) and then try launching the game.

I still say it's warzones. It is one of the most laggy mods I have ever encountered, simply because of what it does. It's not the modders fault, and it works good if you have very few mods and no HD packs installed, but when warzones suddenly spawns 20 enemies all with HD armor and weapons and they start going nuts on each other then skyrim runs out of memory REAL fast.

I have to agree on the Warzones mod, I used to try to run it, but wanted too many other mods and it just didn't work well. Don't get me wrong, by itself Warzones is a cool mod, and I wish I could use it. I just can't sacrifice all the other mods for that one single mod.

ArtMurder, I'm curious about the ini tweaks you mention. I was under the impression that due to the limitations of the engine, program etc that no such tweaks would be of any benefit? Am I wrong?

OK lads I got rid of warzones and started limiting some of the generic graphic settings (located in the launcher) and its starting to look much much better. Had to drop down AA and AS to x2. Sad face. Can I mess around with ENBs? I'm still confused as to what they really are but my christ they look pretty

OK lads I got rid of warzones and started limiting some of the generic graphic settings (located in the launcher) and its starting to look much much better. Had to drop down AA and AS to x2. Sad face. Can I mess around with ENBs? I'm still confused as to what they really are but my christ they look pretty

ENBs are post process injectors, they aren't actually a mod, they are basically a program that launches shortly after you launch skyrim, that changes the visual effects of the game. Most ENBs will never cause crashes, and have minimal FPS hit, or at least have 'lite' versions. You can usually tell pretty easy which is which, as many will say "minimal/no FPS hit" in the descript.

An ENB by itself has much less impact then high def graphic mods, not counting the most crazy and intense ones.

I personally like Seasons of Skyrim, Real Like ENB, Project ENB, and Supern ENB RL.

Also, ENB Costumizer is great if you dislike one specific thing about an ENB, or want to try and make it more graphic friendly by dropping the quality without butchering the ENB's bisual appearance.