City traders for immersion not player interaction yes no ?

Andyross1962

I have a couple of City Mods Complete Solitude and Ultimate Whiterun.

I have added traders and shops to both but I am reluctant to keep adding more blacksmiths and general dealers etc as they are already catered for.

I have added a coyple of market stalls and shops that the player can't trade with just for immersion. I have a Potter, a Furniture Store etc.

I am thinking of adding a Cooper to make barrels and a joiner to produce furniture. These will just be for 'immersion' the player doesn't need to buy jugs and plates or barrels and won't be able to.

What I am trying to achieve is the feeling that while you don't want barrles and plates other townsfolk and businesses obviously do and like in real life you don't go to shops where you don't want things but they are there adding to the town.

What are your opinions on this?

I completely agree with you, period. I think adding such merchants to the world is a great way to make it more realistic, but allowing the player to trade with them, too, is key. Immersion is to be sucked in, feel like you're there, and having merchants around that you can't interact with seems half heartedly pointless.

When I meet NPCs like that I go like "Well what the heck are you doing here then %¤!", but I can still understand that as a mod author, configuring these NPCs etc. is an awful lot of work, weighed to how much it'll be appreciated by the user in the long run. Sure, we can look at their stuff and talk to 'em, but they wouldn't really have any further use than that.

It's all about how much you as an author is willing to put into your mod. I appreciate every little detail, and I adore your mods, and whatever you decide to do, I'm pretty sure most people will still be happy with it.

You could have the jugs and plates purchasable because they are used to decorate player homes.

I agree with the barrels etc. though as they are static items. Someone must make them though right? After all we don't have all our furniture placed in our houses by a magical creation kit in real life :P

EDIT: and i like the idea of all your mods, definately add to immersion!

Edited by FOX_HOUND