Moonlight shadow problem

KorinOo

Hello there! I have been searching for the solution for some time now and can't quite find it. The problem is: In the night the light from the moon is "stronger" than the light from my custom source of light which makes shadows cast in the wrong direction (from the moon instead from the custom source). The image may explain it better: http://s22.postimg.org/l3l39mvhd/TESV_2013_07_10_20_35_31_462.jpg

I don't want to change the custom light (it is set as i would like it to be) but i want to get rid of that shadow from the moonlight. I tried edit some enbseries.ini but i couldn't find the right settings. Could you guys at least point me in the right direction?

First of all, those custom sources of light there, are not shadow casters, so no matter what, there wont be a shadow from them anyway.

And for removing light from the moon, adjust this setting in enbseries.ini

[ENVIRONMENT]
DirectLightingIntensityNight --> lower this

and;

AmbientLightingIntensityNight --> raise this so night doesn't turn completely black

Perhaps you need to fine tune it a bit using Bloom settings as well. And depending on how nitpicky you are perhaps even the enbeffect.fx file settings regarding night darkness.

I cannot tell you by how much, because that depends on your ENB, your enbeffect.fx file settings, perhaps SweetFX as well if it's used, your in game gamma, your lighting mod, your night level of CoT if you have, etc etc etc... you gotta figure it out by yourself what works for you :wink:

Thank you for your answer! I will try that tomorrow.

First of all, those custom sources of light there, are not shadow casters, so no matter what, there wont be a shadow from them anyway.

Wait, what? The light form the lantern should cast shadows, its the slightly modified black falls barrow light(it has this purple cross inside). So why wont it cast shadow?

oh, and btw. I'm using Project ENB (Realistic preset) and no other visual enhancement mods (just UI mods and my own mod :D )

Oh that large pole is a lantern... I was looking at the candles... now I get it, I thought your "shadow should be here" was off... but if it's a lantern, then yea...

I however don't think you can fix this :smile: but you can try...

I like direct lighting opposed to ambient lighting for controlling night darkness, as ambient lighting at night is very unrealistic, as there is very very little. The moon however does cast (or should cast) shadows when bright enough.

I dunno the realistic preset of Project ENB, I have used the Cinematic at one point, now using my own preset for RLO+CoT which is based on Project ENB but completely changed from color balance to about everything else :)

hmmm... i will try to make the shadow from the moon less dark(but still visable a little to keep the realistic look of the scene around) and increase darkness of the shadow from the lantern. But still i'm not 100% sure hot to do that :D I will try to figure it out

and increase darkness of the shadow from the lantern

You can play with ambient levels and curves for that in night time...

however with Project ENB, using binary 0.119, it can be a pain because it doesn't have the handy-dandy in game ENB menu... perhaps you can switch to ENB binary 0.132 which should be more or less compatible... I even think Project ENB has the changes between those versions listed on it's site somewhere.... after that you can just open the ENB config menu in game by pressing shift+enter when console is open (doesn't have to be open, but it freezes game) and then just change values and see result immediately.

Edit: yup.. for 0.132

HIGH PRIORITY COMMENTS

Please use ENB Series v0.119 if you want it to look like my screenshots, but it's also compatible with v0.132.

When using v0.132, you MUST use the "clean" enbseries.ini that it comes with and then enter my settings in there.

For better compatibility with v0.132, adjust these settings in enbseries.ini:

[RAYS]

SunRaysMultiplier= (reduce my values in half)

[sKYLIGHTING]

AmbientMinLevel=0.7875

[EFFECT]

EnableReflection=true

[REFLECTION]

Quality=0 <----- raise this value to 1 or 2 for lower quality

FilterQuality=0 <----- raise this value to 1 or 2 for lower quality

FilterBluriness=0.15

SizeScale=0.75 <----- lower this value for lower quality

SourceTexturesScale=0.75 <----- lower this value for lower quality

Amount=0.75

Power=1.0

Regardless of what the CoT mod page says, DO NOT set ForceFakeVideocard=true in enbseries.ini.

That should only be set to "true" when using 3D stereoscopic graphics through your drivers.

Just those reflection settings, that would be too much reflection for my liking (very shiny settings above)... maybe this gives a more natural result:

[REFLECTION]
Quality=0
FilterQuality=0
FilterBluriness=0.15
SizeScale=0.75
SourceTexturesScale=0.75
Amount=0.17
Power=1.7

And you have to manually edit the 0.132 enbseries.ini from the ENB download, and copy-paste over Project ENB's settings from it's own enbseries.ini... can be quite a pain, if you have Excel it can be quite easy tho :P

OK i found the solution! It's not the enbseries.ini or anything like that. It's : "Don't use lights with shadows in exteriors"

It seems like there is a conflict in shadows from sun/moon and light sources. Custom lights instead of casting their own shadows, they multiply the shadow from the sun/moon...

So now is my question: can i make my exterior count as interior (hopefully with strong source of custom light instead of sun/moon)?