Rain rain rain rain rain and more rain

Irockman1

I think this is a great idea. Simple but I would say it's almost essential to have some different weather effects. As for being a desert, I don't think radioactive rain would make things grow so I wouldn't think that's an issue. If anyone says it's not realistic, duh, it's just a game. And Fallout 3 at that. I don't want this game to turn to Operation Flashpoint levels of realism. That just wouldn't be fun. Besides, realism-wise, wouldn't any amount of radiation kill you anyway?

I've been playing around with the weather settings, introducing weather objects as close as possible to those in Oblivion.

Oblivion does rain by modifying sky, ambient and sun lighting, rain colored fog, a rain image space for distant rain effects, and critically, precipitation meshed objects that fall (as modified by wind) to the ground (and disappear) in front of the player's viewpoint.

Bad news: as far as I can tell, the precipitation meshes simply aren't rendered in Fallout 3. Rain, snow, dust motes, it doesn't matter. This is part of the executable and cannot be modded via GECK.

You can do a lot with image spaces. In fact I have a remarkably convincing duststorm that relies on imagespaces to modulate visibilty of mid-range trees/objects. Its possible that some combination of imagespace variables could offer the illusion of a rain drops, even if they aren't instantiated as objects in the player's field of view.

Love the idea of this mod.

My brother also loves the idea and suggested it recently to Bethesda (who told him to go talk to the forums).

But in practice rain would need to be seen as effectively altering existing textures etc. in at least some ways.

Water and broken concrete?

More water and the broken up river?

As 'Irockman 1' already suggested, I think a simpler mod could be created first and then more intricate effects be added later.

I suggest start with light rain or even a sprinkle that had limited effects.

Again, a good suggestion!

My brother also loves the idea and suggested it recently to Bethesda (who told him to go talk to the forums).

But in practice rain would need to be seen as effectively altering existing textures etc. in at least some ways.

As 'Irockman 1' already suggested, I think a simpler mod could be created first and then more intricate effects be added later.

Well i did some digging around on the net and came up with this, it is aparently a 3d model for a stormy rain made with 3dsmax....i dunno what needs to be done or if it could be used as a base for rain in fallout. Just throwing out Ideas in hopes someone picks it up :)

edit: oops forgot the link >.<

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/268622

Well i did some digging around on the net and came up with this, it is aparently a 3d model for a stormy rain made with 3dsmax....i dunno what needs to be done or if it could be used as a base for rain in fallout. Just throwing out Ideas in hopes someone picks it up :)

edit: oops forgot the link >.<

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/268622

Has the idea of in game rain lost its appeal?

Has the idea of in game rain lost its appeal?

No, it has not. I would love to see some in game rain, snow wind storms, tornadoes etc.

I have no modding experience, but just got done doing the first tutorial for the geck (making the vault). If I had the ability I would jump all over this.

Can a gifted modder help?

Archived