Automation Tools for TES5Edit - Suggestions Thread

matortheeternal

I can't really give a better description of what I mean by that. Combining the leveled lists across different mods so that the game can use leveled items from all the mods (or something?!) is (I'm given to understand) the central feature of a bashed patch. But it's surprisingly hard to find a concise description of what a bashed patch is actually for! Everything just tells you how to make one, not much about why.

Conflicting override edits is the reason. And yes, combining level lists is something the smashed patch does. Only, it applies that same logic to all records.

E.g. say you have two mods that both modify the same record. One does something to subrecords a, b, and c. The other does something to subrecords x, y, and z. (e.g. one mod modifies npc appearance, other modifies packages/dialog) If you simply load these mods one after the other, the one lowest in your load order will take precedence, so the edits from one of the mods on that particular record will be lost.

This is remedied by bashing. Or, it was remedied by bashing back in Oblivion days. However, Wyre Bash is still under development for Skyrim (and it's taking a ridiculously long time). Mator Smash attempts to do what a bashed patch would do at a very basic level. It takes records that have been overridden in multiple mods and combines their subrecords into a new override, so all edits are preserved. It's obviously still a work in progress, but the method used is generic so once it's working it'll be working for all records of all types. Not just leveled lists. Not just NPCs. Everything. (with the exception of navigational data and other records that are merged at runtime, unlike traditional override records, but that's another story altogether)

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed that there is a new Mator Smash out, decided to try it. What is an "assertion failure" exception? It fires when the script finishes and prevents saving a smashed patch esp. I have two bug logs, one for when the script finished and one for trying to save the patch, but both contain this:

exception message : Assertion failure (D:\Projects\TES5Edit\wbImplementation.pas, line 13850).

I have been giving a go at trying to debug the "Assertion Failure" issue I am encountering when using MatorSmash 0.7. The most recent thing I have tried is a very minimal smashing of just the unofficial patches. When I tried this, I noticed that although TES5Edit spat out the same error message, it had actually made a Smashed Patch plugin. (I think it must have done so the other times, but my load order was so long that I didn't notice.) So I poked around in it. I could click on any record in the patch without issue except for the "Activator" 00046DAD, which is the "DB04NearNightMotherTrigger". When I do that, it spits out more assertion error messages, at some point becoming impossible to interact with. It also behaves strangely in other ways, visible in the attached screenshot.

I understand again that this isn't exactly supposed to be a bug report/fixing thread, but you've gotten me really intrigued with the concept and potential of smashed patches. So I'd like to help out as much as I can when I notice something not working right, even if it's just not working for me (in which case it only benefits me, but hey...)

here's a suggestion of something I REALLY want to see in the quickchange/display scripts...

index ranges.

IE: Conditions\[0:10]\CTDA - \Function

also...does negative indexing work? like... [-1] starting at the bottom of the list of conditions?

I'm trying to add CCO conditions to some stuff that doesn't fit any of the conditions, basically I want to add a condition for 'non-lore recipes' to all of them.

doing a batch of like 30 of them manually, not fun. even using the quickchange script to reduce some of it...

• 2 weeks later...

These scripts are just amazing. It will save me so much time! A huge thanks! The creation kit has given me plenty of trouble by crashing a lot, and being able to skip using it for big parts of the process has been very motivating.

It's not clear to me, but is there a way for the Armor Mod Creator to automatically change and fix all the links to newly renamed .dds textures? If I understand correctly, all it does is link the .nif files to your .esp and it doesn't change the .nif files themselves. After using the Armor Mod Creator I checked the .nif files and I'll have to link them by hand (I know, I know. Sherlock and the lack of excrement. But it's not a complaint, I was just trying to understand the process a bit. Very new at this.) But there are many. Is it possible to automate this process as well? I don't think so (if it's not in an .esp or .esm you most likely can't), but this would be awesome.

I'm very new at this so I'm probably missing a lot here, very sorry to bother you if such a tool already exists. Whether it's possible or not, you've already made my day.

Edit: Since I'm here anyway, would a Hair Mod Creator be interesting to script as well? Possible in any way? And some way to simply add new content to the existing mod quickly? Or is that process already fast enough with other tools? I have not made one yet so I don't know if it will add anything.

Edited by NoukNouk

These scripts are just amazing. It will save me so much time! A huge thanks! The creation kit has given me plenty of trouble by crashing a lot, and being able to skip using it for big parts of the process has been very motivating.

It's not clear to me, but is there a way for the Armor Mod Creator to automatically change and fix all the links to newly renamed .dds textures? If I understand correctly, all it does is link the .nif files to your .esp and it doesn't change the .nif files themselves. After using the Armor Mod Creator I checked the .nif files and I'll have to link them by hand (I know, I know. Sherlock and the lack of excrement. But it's not a complaint, I was just trying to understand the process a bit. Very new at this.) But there are many. Is it possible to automate this process as well? I don't think so (if it's not in an .esp or .esm you most likely can't), but this would be awesome.

I'm very new at this so I'm probably missing a lot here, very sorry to bother you if such a tool already exists. Whether it's possible or not, you've already made my day.

Edit: Since I'm here anyway, would a Hair Mod Creator be interesting to script as well? Possible in any way? And some way to simply add new content to the existing mod quickly? Or is that process already fast enough with other tools? I have not made one yet so I don't know if it will add anything.

Hi.

Anything that would be done inside of a nif file is very hard to access and control from within TES5Edit. We'd need some kind of library which doesn't currently exist in TES5Edit, though it has been talked about before.

Hair Mod Creator? Well, I don't know exactly how Hair Mods work, but I don't see any reason why not. You'd do something similar to what the Armor Mod Builder does, only for hair mods. :)

Hi.

Anything that would be done inside of a nif file is very hard to access and control from within TES5Edit. We'd need some kind of library which doesn't currently exist in TES5Edit, though it has been talked about before.

Hair Mod Creator? Well, I don't know exactly how Hair Mods work, but I don't see any reason why not. You'd do something similar to what the Armor Mod Builder does, only for hair mods. :smile:

A Hair Mod Creator would be perfect :)

I also found a tool that extracts the texture paths in an .ini file to a .txt file and let's you edit/fix them, and can then reimport them.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40638/?

Might come in handy for you too? It won't mean anything for your scripts though. :)

Ahoy thar! I have once again found need of a script that is completely out of the scope o' my abilities; and it would indeed be useful for others!

A script that will limit the number of REFRs nested in the "Worldspace" record trees would be very helpful. Por ejemplo: You have worldspace cell with five REFRs, one with seven and another with three. Applying the script, with a limit of three REFRs per cell, would remove two REFRs from the first, four from the second, and none from the third.

Ideally, you'd be able to define the 'NAME' value of the REFRs to be removed.

Reason for asking, is that I hoiked an old mod that had spawn points across the Fallout 3 wasteland. Cutting out everything else 'cept the spawn points, I then changed them to use another mod's spawn object (Endless Warfare, in case yer curious).

But there are far too many; there are over 15,000 of them. I need to clamp this down to around 3,000. A script to reduce the number of REFRs from cells with more than three would be a godsend.

Tah in advance.