Freedom City

Chemist18

Let me apologize beforehand for my longwindedness.

Traveling around in the Capitol Wasteland I've seen:

Groups and NPCs that try to protect and rebuild:

• The Regulators
    The Railroad
    Hannibal Hamlin
    Vance
    Lucas Simms
    Uncle Roe

I've seen groups that people need to be protected from:

• Talon Company
    Raiders
    Slavers
    Hunters
    Littlehorn and Associates
    The Enclave

I've seen groups that wish to take away what little is available to salvage civilizaion:

• The Brotherhood of Steel (Arguably they are trying to defend but they are rude and arrogant)
    The Outcasts

I've seen evidence that mutants aren't all bad:

• Super Mutants like Fawkes and Uncle Leo
    Ghouls like Winthrop, Willow, and Roy Phillips

I've seen evidence that things can be improved:

• Dr Lesko's ability to genetically alter the Giant Ants
    The variable effects of exposure to the FEV (see: Harold/Bob)
    The possible connects between the greenery of the Oasis and the FEV
    The radiation cleansing properties of the Cave Fungus

The Positives forces and influences in the wasteland are making valiant efforts, however each is relatively small and could easily be wiped out by a concerted effort of the Negative forces. So, finally I get to my idea for an expansion (not really a mod).

Oh I forgot one thing, like Capt Kirk I don't believe in the "no win scenario"....

To be continued...

What I see is a well hidden, well protected city where all are welcome provided they can at least be tolerant of any and all other races, species, and/or mutants, that they can live by the laws of the society, that they can work to contribute to the society (cooking, guarding, digging, hauling, etc.).

Physically this city would look very much like the Meresti trainyards on the outside but with only a single track and a few Kwansit Huts. The remainder of the city would be underground centered around an old large metro station much like Metro Central (U06.B in the game guide). This station would be intact, no rubble, no graffity, etc. This station would contain a marketplace as well as act as the hub of a small network of subway and utility tunnels to connect various sections of the city.

The city would be founded and run with the belief that all “reasoning” creatures have a place in society regardless of their size, color, or number of appendages. All citizens from the Mayor to the lowest cook would have equal priveleges and equal quarters. All citizens will eat in the Mess Hall, each citizen receives a standard issue of necessities (clothes, etc.) based on their duties and needs.

Areas of the city would be, Gardens, Hospital, Science Labs, Warehouses (well protected from thieves), Armory, Quartermaster’s Complex, Cold storage, living quarters.

Gardens would cultivate the edible fungus, perhaps it can purify water as well as consume the city’s wastes (corpses, etc.).

Science Labs would conduct research into ways to treat feral ghouls to return them to more reasoning beings, would study the reason ghouls live so long, would study ways to reverse or partially reverse the mutations of the FEV on super mutants.

Warehouses would store essentially Everything that can be picked up and carried in the game (e.g. tin cans, coffee mugs, etc.). People working here would be separating incoming material as well as maintaining an inventory of all materials. Players would be able to buy any needed components from here.

Armory would store… yep you guessed it weapons and armor. Working in the armory would be a Master Weaponsmith and a Master Armorsmith. Player would be able to acquire “special” weapons and armor as well as repairs.

Quartermaster’s Complex would contain offices and facilities to handle the logistics of supplying the city’s population. This group continually reviews what each citizen needs as well as the city’s capability to supply those needs. For example each member of the “Guards” would receive an M1 Rifle, Combat Helmet, Combat Armor, and ammunition. Perhaps if available a super mutant might receive a flamer or minigun. A citizen who’s duty is to work in the gardens would receive standard clothing and tools needed for their work.

Cold storage… well it would store stuff that needs to be kept cold

Living quarters would be much like those seen in the vaults, same size rooms for all except for perhaps special cases like Super Mutants 

Ways the player contributes:

The city needs literally anything and everything (particularly food) the player can carry back. The player wouldn’t necessarily be paid in caps for all of his/her salvage but would earn … “rank points”?

Items with Special properties for the science labs (Yao Guai Meat, Mirelurk Meat, Softshelled Mireluck Meat, Nukalurk Meat, Fire Ant Nectar, Ant nectar, Ant Queen Pheromones, Nuka-Cola Quantum,

The player could bring in “recruits” such as escaped slaves, scavengers, etc.

The player would aid in the defense of the city in the case of an attack occurring when the player is present.

Perhaps the player once sufficiently trusted could lead foraging teams or strike teams.

The player could gather intelligence on things like the location of slaver, raider camps, or large stashes of supplies, etc.

Perhaps the player might find some new type of radiation resistant plant? Some new chemical?

Oh and obviously the player could Live here :)

sounds really cool. Mayber you could add a sorta bushido religoin for the super mutants? (samurai super muties!) and add a place for all of the new content to expand and what not.

Gotsa have some glowing stuff....maybe some graffiti to show SOMEONE LIVES THEIR AND LIKE'S/HATES ART!

maybe a broken observeatory and a crazy guy who belive's in alien's? Could turn the theta craft into a mission where you could get the aliens to help you and make some uniqe armor and weapons?

Very much like the concept but have some suggestions!

Start the concept with just an accessible free trade zone but an inaccessible main city so that people have an early mod to use while the bigger mod is worked on.

FTZ has doctor, traders, barber, guards, guard dogs, robots, turrets etc.

Also a community room to stay at for free or a hut to rent on a daily basis.

Some Brahmans in a yard looked after by a citizen.

A small fixed up park with statues, benches, flower beds and a fountain.

FTZ may have a small hospital for those too sick to be fixed by the doctor and with some charity for those unable to pay.

FTZ may have a refugee camp that processes refugees, orphans etc. to see who might stay in the FTZ, who might go into the city and who would be rejected (with regrets).

FTZ may have basic charity to give away some items, do some basic repairs, to those in real need.

The above could be run by a Sisterhood of Care.

Have the FTZ buy and sell all items but also sell some unique items that come from its workshops, recycling efforts, laboratories etc. such as canned molerat stew, its own brand of cola drink sold in reused Nuka Cola bottles, braham milk in reused milk bottles, good quality recycled toilet paper and many other possibilities. Also fresh food from hydroponics.

Include a Mayor and Sheriff for the FTZ if it is big enough in its own right.

Include a Vault-Tec vault (not a registered one which is a mystery) whose surviving vault dwellers started the new underground city. Perhaps the vault was experimenting with the concept of communal or co-op living.

Include a subway engineering underground area complete with workshops that helped greatly in the start of the city.

Include a hidden hitech laboratory workshop research and development bunker where a scientific team and others, caretakers and guards etc. barely survived. Helps explain how city managed to start up so successfully.

May add some exotic devices to mod and to general game.

* Cramulator that turns any kind of meat into new improved 'cram'

* Waterrator that turns

*Gnomeulator that fixes damaged garden gnomes

*Washulator that ultrasonic cleans and presses/folds dirty prewar clothes etc.

*Exoticator that turns odd combinations into odd items such as

3 dirty waters + 1 radaway into 3 purified waters

1 raider armour + 1 vault jumpsuit into raider style black studded armoured jumpsuit

1 radraoch meat + 1 Nuka Cola into improved radromeat

1 baseball bat + 1 spiked nucklebuster into spiked baseballbat

3 x fission batteries + 1 mininuke into 1 super fission battery

Include a big underground garden with green trees, bushes, grass, flower beds, small statues, park benches, water fountains etc.

Include the Brotherhood of Super Grunts who came from a military bunker filled with USA power infantry (a new type of experimental military unit) all turned into enhanced ghouls. These enhanced ghouls wear power armour and fight with a variety of heavy weapons such as flamers, missile launchers, miniguns and perhaps some new ones. Perhaps they still dwell in the bunker that is linked with the city. They will defend the city with all they have.

Possible special NCPs

GI Jose the Marshal of the Brotherhood of Super Grunts

Mad Hatter, a genius scientist and engineer who actually wears different hats while doing different tasks

Mayor Freedoma, the strong willed woman mayor of the city

Tale Tongue, a 200 year old ghoul who, in exchange for a bottle of beer, will tell one of a list of stories that might sometimes lead to a small side quest

Barys, Gary like clones but passive who were rescued from another Vault-Tec vault. Barys sweep floors, tend bars, stand and stare into space etc. Dressed in vault jumpsuits.

Tarys, female version of Gary clones who are tough but fair. Serve as Sheriff deputies?

Dressed in vault security gear and use lighter weapons.

Bruce Brothers being actually five non blood-related Super Mutants who do heavy lifting work. Two were actually women.

I would like acknowledgement of use of any of my distinctly new ideas but mostly I would like some feedback on how you are going with your city concept.

Dragonpen61

Thanks for all the cool suggestions.

I'm currently working on the structure of the Central Station that I mentioned which will contain the marketplace. I haven't done any "modding"/building/whatever since the days of the original Half-life so I'm a complete rookie now. The overall expansion I detailed is well beyond my abilities right now, however I'm learning.

Archived