ctd everytime I press m for map

jcw1348

Every single time, and it's the only thing that's causing ctd thus far. Going crazy trying to figure out why. I have fully familiarized myself with how load orders work, and it's not that. Everything is fine according to BOSS. I even just went through an hours long process of doing all sorts of stuff to reconfigure my video card and improve my PC's use of memory and RAM (which it turns out I have way more than enough of, btw). I even disabled every mod that I had installed between before when I wasn't having that problem and when I did start having it--far as I know, nothing else happened between those two time periods, so by all appearances it just started happening out of the blue. Does anyone else know if there's anything else it could be, before I resort to deleting everything and reinstalling the game? If so, thanks in advance.

edit:

if this helps any, it started happening in Morthal, with the expanded Morthal from the ETOC mod. Everything else about it is fine (except that Falion doesn't seem to be anywhere, but I digress)

A few things - since you did not post this:

1. Do you have a MAP MOD?

... If so, did you uncheck it to see if that fixed it?

2. Do you have any MODS that require:

... DLC's (Dawnguard - Dragonborn - Hearthfires?

3. Do any mods require SKSE and/or SkyUI?

... Some of the Map Mods require one or both of the above.

4. Do you have a MOD that is outside of the Skyrim Map?

... I do not honestly remember the name of the mod - as this came up last year. But a user had this problem and found that a mod he had - was actually outside of the Skyrim Map and caused a CTD. He removed it and poof the problem solved. (That does not mean there could not be other mods with 'similar' issues.

I had one mod just West of Riften - that caused my game to crash when I was getting close to Solitude. I was a very strange reaction and did indeed take the "Hunt and Peck" method to find it. When I wrote the creator, he even admitted he was having the same issues and did not realize it was his mod. Because the locations made no sense. But he even confirmed it when I brought it to his attention.

So just saying - Mods by nature can be strange creatures in Skyrim and it's not limited to 'local area' mods.

it's been a few days here, but just incase anyone else has the same problem-

turns out one of the mods I installed was "color map" which was indeed dependent on SkyUI. Got rid of it, and the problem went away! :-)

• 6 months later...

This is an issue that has persisted for me since beginning to mod TES5.
...and it is always when pressing 'map' inside dungeons, not on the worldmap.

I'm running the max-limit of mods and have only 1 'map-mod', a quality world map by icepenguin.
Most threads I encounter mention colormap-icons and SkyUI as probable reasons, but I don't use any colormaps and have disabled other custom-mapmarkers and similar.

I too have thought it was a memory-issue, esp. when running tons of texture-replacers, but it's more likely that something early on has replaced something in the DATA/Interface folder.

When reading this post I disabled the 'a Quality World Map' and even SkyUI (!)
Still the same result when pressing 'm' inside the Kilkreath dungeons, instant CTD.
No matter if I use high-res or "vanilla-res", clouds or no clouds on the map.
...also adding map-specific commands to the Skyrim.ini only yielded poorer quality and the
game still crashes when trying to get a map inside a dungeon.

I do have some knowledge when it comes to loadorders.
The game is running fine besides this issue, as I've tracked down every other conflict/area/mod. ...and that's no small feat with 255 mods.

EDIT: Added Loadorder.

Edited by Voyager23

• 5 years later...

Super late reply but I hope this helps others.

If you're using Mod Organizer, click on the tools icon (looks like 4 puzzle pieces) above the modlist and select configurator. You will see a drop-down menu thing. From that menu look for ScreenSplatter. Select it and you will see bBloodSplatterEnabled and an option to set to true or false. If false then set to True. Save the change made and try opening the map in-game.

Worked for me so I hope it does for you.

If it doesn't then there could be a mod that modifies this. If not then have a cookie.