Vault 101's "experiment"

GrammerAngel

Guys, cant you remember the bit when you find out that it wasn't always closed and that people used to come and go as they pleased...

I think it was like Moriarty said and there was something to do with brainwashing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody told me that from Vault 101 went three scouts into the DC Wastelands, which is backed up by some notes on the Overseer's terminals in his office (check them out just before you escape through his nifty secret ext under his metal desk) but also by some other evidence in the vault that I have yet to find. One scout came back but two staid out in the DC Wastelands to gain further information. I am going to try to find out just how real this idea is in the game and will post again if I find out more concrete evidence.

Love the :banana:

time for some wiki

The purpose of Vault 101 in the Vault Experiment was not only to test the results of indefinite isolation, but also had a greater purpose of testing the role of the Overseer. This Vault was sealed before the bombs ever even hit, and the residents were kept in the dark as to the true nature of the aftermath, receiving fake radio transmissions which painted a far bleaker picture than even the Wasteland offered. It was the Overseer's job to keep this secret and make sure the Vault stayed sealed, and the first Overseer was actually a trained Vault-Tec official. The second Overseer (who was trained by the first) decided to let a select few of the adults in on the secret to help keep it from the children, and over the years each subsequent generation had more and more residents who knew the truth about the Vault. Also, the Overseer was able to communicate with, and even visit, the outside world by using the secret tunnel in the Overseer's office[1]. However for all other intents and purposes, the vault's residents were sealed in: "It is here you were born, it is here you will die."

• 1 month later...
That's what I've gathered as well. Technically speaking the Vault experiment ended the moment the second Overseer decided to let other people in on the secret. Then again, Vault-Tec was probably one of the most evil corporations of the Pre-War era, where the vast majority of their Vaults had some sinister purpose. All of the test Vaults that I've heard of have failed in one way or another, Including Vault 101 despite the fact that out of all the Vaults in D.C. it had the least evil intentions made for it.

Yeah, I think the best thing a Vault Tec overseer could do is ignore every directive he could and just try to keep his charges safe.

Certainly if a vault made it more than a generation, any sane overseer would realize obeying the directives of a company that no longer existed was insanity.

I actually think the Vault 101 Overseer is doing a pretty good job. He was sending scouts out, allowing needed personnel in (a doctor) but he also knew it would be more dangerous to his charges to just throw the door open. The Enclave seems to have been trying to get in and he seemed to know that was a very bad thing.

Fallout Wiki, on how James got in:

He was able to enter the Vault because they needed a doctor, this is shown during the "One Year Later" scene. The Overseer states "We need a doctor, not a deadbeat- fail to meet my expectations and you'll be out on your ass. James and his cheery charities are over."

This is what I thought. People just didn't come and go, they just let him in because they needed him. But letting even a single person in to a formerly sealed vault is still pretty big and controversial, especially since the vault's mission was prolonged isolation study..

Have you ever thought about like, doesn't Vault-Tec seem pretty heavy on the Propaganda? I'm betting that the Enclave and Vault-Tec are somehow connected. They seem to represent communistic views ironically of Hitler and Mussolini, displaying the country is more important then the individual, yada yada yada. Then again i'm ranting.