Import/Export FO4 nifs directly from Blender

BadPup

Import with bones? I mean, a real rig, or just unattached bones?

Here's what it says on Wiki :

Bones will be imported, assembled into an armature, and the mesh will be parented to that armature. If you select an armature first, then import, the new bones will be added to the existing armature and the mesh will be parented into it. Bones will be added as needed to connect new bones all the way up to the root.

FO4-style subsegments will be represented as vertex groups and given names as you'd see in OutfitStudio. Vertex groups will be created and given names, but they'll have no contents if they have subsegments.

So, rigged. Looks like it's based on OutfitStudio.

Yup, rigged. The tricky thing is that the bones in the nif are usually not a complete skeleton, so the rest have to come from a reference skeleton which nifly (the OS/BS code) already knew how to do.

I'm about to add an option for that tho because the FO4's supermutants use a variant of the regular skeleton which doesn't have all the bones, so they shouldn't be added in.

Yup, rigged. The tricky thing is that the bones in the nif are usually not a complete skeleton, so the rest have to come from a reference skeleton which nifly (the OS/BS code) already knew how to do.

I'm about to add an option for that tho because the FO4's supermutants use a variant of the regular skeleton which doesn't have all the bones, so they shouldn't be added in.

Well done! Thank you for doing this work.

Any chance you know how to now make it export animations to FO4-friendly hkx files? :)

I don't. I don't know anything about animations. But now that the basics are done maybe I'll start looking at that. I don't do animations myself and I don't know what all the parts are but it would be fun to look at.

I don't. I don't know anything about animations. But now that the basics are done maybe I'll start looking at that. I don't do animations myself and I don't know what all the parts are but it would be fun to look at.

Right on. It would be amazing if you could figure it out. Animations are kind of held back at the moment because only 3DSMax 15 and 16 work with the plugin needed and those versions are no longer provided by Autodesk. So, there is basically a tool bottleneck.