Planning on a major retexture project of XCOM operatives. Ideas welcom

CaesarInvictus

Finally got around to updating the main file.

Its not the fully-fledged EW release everyone wanted, but it has some meat to it.

Helmet/hat textures are the most problematic thus far. I'm also inclined to believe I may have forgotten a normalmap or two here or there. If you spot issues to that extent let me know.

In the service of transparency what originally took me out of the creative process was a number of real life things, combined with a couple dead-ends regarding the texturing process.

For instance, unlike what we had before EW has only one armor texture for both genders. This.... was problematic. Thankfully the change meant that the male texture files would still work and theoretically my job going forward to change all the other armors got a lot simpler, but it also means a lot of textures I put dozens of hours into for the EU release are now no longer functional. (the female kevlar armor, is a good example of this. Carapace too to a lesser extent)

But those misgivings aside what I've uploaded works out to be most of my original work safely transferred to the new game.

I really want to hear opinions on how the new helmets look. Texturing them was a real pain, because they used data I had previously modified. The result was somewhat frustrating, since I had to make a miniscule bundle of pixels look good for multiple helmets (The biggest change you can see here is with the 'glow-helms')

So! What's the agenda going forward?

-Carapace and skeleton armors will come out next release, whenever that is.

-I'm thinking about changing the deco armors to be 'generic, but better': I'll be taking a lot of my inspiration from matte-black tactical aesthetics; Camo, if present, will probably be fairly exaggerated and hopefully colour mapped. Deco's happen later, though.

-I still want to mess around with EXALT troops. I still lack their texture files, though. Hard to find the time to play the game long enough to get nice on-screen shots of them. Infact, one way you guys could help there is, if possible, by uploading a save file during a mission with them in it. Then I could just load it. rip the files I need and be good to go.

-I did some work on the basic un-upgraded shiv. I have mixed feelings about it. Hopefully made it look more military and less like a construction vehicle. I havent tested it ingame yet.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, uploaded the save file to Dropbox (link).

11/22/2013 - 1:51 - Game 1 - Operation Crimson Future (EXALT Base Raid) - Brisbane, Australia

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Big fan of the Military Retexture Mod!! Used it religiously when I was playing EU.

I'm currently playing LW EW which is fantastic and also very popular. I was wondering whether your upcoming Mod would be compatible with LW. If so, would it be possible to automate the process (TexMod is a bit of a pain to use) or even have it incorporated in the LW Mod? As you may know, the LW Devs are doing an astounding job and is keeping the game fresh and challenging for me and many other players.

Thanks for your update and keep up the great work.

Edited by ping2pong

Big fan of the Military Retexture Mod!! Used it religiously when I was playing EU.

I'm currently playing LW EW which is fantastic and also very popular. I was wondering whether your upcoming Mod would be compatible with LW. If so, would it be possible to automate the process (TexMod is a bit of a pain to use) or even have it incorporated in the LW Mod? As you may know, the LW Devs are doing an astounding job and is keeping the game fresh and challenging for me and many other players.

I'm doing it for Long War EW to salute LW developers for their awesome job. They deserve it. (Also the LW Team deserves full payment, I wish could pay them!)

I'm doing it for Long War EW to salute LW developers for their awesome job. They deserve it. (Also the LW Team deserves full payment, I wish could pay them!)

That's fantastic!! More LW goodness!!

Will this be integrated into the Mod itself (ie replace the existing textures etc) or will it still require messing around with TexMod? If the latter, it would be great if this process can be automated ...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...