Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision (compatibility)

budheadz

Can someone tell me if the "Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision" mod works with FWE ?

I have MMM and EVE installed aswell, along with afew other mods (weather mods, and street lights, etc) with NMM.

Im afraid to install and try it, because i had the game modded with aload of great mods (went through all of gophersvids on FO3). Game played great.. but the nights were pitch black, so then i installed Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision. along with hd guns textures and brighter nights. and it destroyed my game, crashed on startup every time after. i tryed uninstalling the last few mods, but it made no difference.

So i uninstalled everything and started over...(10 hours wasted!)

I went through everything again, and have it modded with everything i want, plays fine. But the nights are still PITCH BLACK.

Idk which, maybe all of these mods, "FWE, Fellout, enhanced weather" make the nights darker, when combined, its literally just blackness at night.

Should i install ARTNV mod ?, can anyone confirm that it works with these other mods, and what load order to place it if so ?

Edited by budheadz

I have EVE & Fellout, along with the Nightvision, installed but not MMM or FWE so I can't tell you for sure if ARTNV is compatible with the last two but here's my two cents...

I'm using the Nightvision mod with no problems. The likely source of the pitch black nights is Fellout; many other people have pointed out it's nights are very dark. It was for me when I installed it so I found another mod to deal with it which leaves Fellout's settings alone EXCEPT it cuts the darkness in half. I don't have a specific link to give you but it was called 'Fellout Nights Restored' and it's mod number was 16424 on the Nexus mods site. You could always try that first if you don't want to use the Nightvision or find that it does indeed conflict with your other mods. If at all possible, if I were you, I'd want to have the Nightvision mod running though - it's very good at what it does and for what it adds to the game in terms of items and features!

Another possible route you could take would be to have ARTNV installed, along with all the others you want to use, and load them into FO3Edit. You could then see right away if there are any conflicts between installed mods. If so, you could then use FO3Edit to create a merged patch which would resolve these conflicts and allow you to play without problems. If you're unaware of this program or why merged patches should be used, search this site for much more info on these topics.

And as a general tip, you might want to create backups of any important game files before installing a new mod that has the potential to wreak havoc with your game. I know that in the case of Gopher's Nightvision mod that it changes one or more XML files (for the HUD). It may be that these files are not able to be restored to a working state if you uninstall the mod. I don't use NMM so I can't say if it has the potential to restore all files when uninstalling mods that make certain kinds of changes like these. So it might be prudent to do a little digging and research to see what files ARTNV (or any other mods) affects before installing so you can backup the game state first in case things don't work out as planned.

I hope I've helped out somewhat and good luck!