psi armor is dumb

FalseModesty

I hate that you can't put it on non-psi soldiers to protect them from psionic attacks. You have to research a separate item (the "tin foil hat") to do that.

And why is it not a weapon, like it was in the original XCOM? That was good because it forced you to choose between brains and brawn.

So, I'd like to see a mod that either

A) Makes psi armor usable by all, and removes the tin foil hat.

or

B) Removes psi armor entirely, replacing it with a special "psi amp" weapon that doesn't shoot but does increase Will. Making it a main weapon usable by any class would be most like the old XCOM; making it a pistol would be a compromise between the old and new.

There is actually a psi-amp item in the game. It is automatically equipped into "custom slots" for any psionic character or alien. It isn't clear if it still serves any form of game purpose, or is just leftover from a previous iteration with more detailed psionics.

There are also vestigial stats for psi and psi defense distinct from will, before they were all merged.

I haven't tried monkeying around with the psi amp, although I did repurpose the psi stat into a unit's regeneration :)