Partially transparent + non transparent material

Indarello

Hi, I am trying to achieve material to be partly transparent in some places and non transparent on some other places
when you just watch on ground or player face everything works good (see image 1)
But when I try to watch on sky initially non transparent part become transparent (see image 2)

How I can fix this? I attach material I use, I found it a good example from this mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8677

material:
https://mega.nz/file/z6pERC5L#lMlMN7LQR6LV__cItwfS1l_IV5fKXQLONlWrw5COio4

Obviously, the transparency of the material of one mesh depends only on the alpha channel. If the mesh can be parsed and assigned to transparent parts bsEffectFx, then it makes sense to do so. If not, then all that remains is to experiment with the alpha channel and uv, trying to achieve the desired effect. I believe that normal alpha channel transparency can only be achieved by using high resolution (4k) textures and an alpha mesh instead of a gradient. A fine mesh with a very fine mesh (pattern, pattern) is consistently transparent at all angles. Instead of anti-aliasing, you can use a soft glowmap by assigning a low valuе.It is also worth remembering that the face texture in the game is dxt5, so if this is an overlay, then D other than DXT5 will occasionally lead to a black face error.

Obviously, the transparency of the material of one mesh depends only on the alpha channel. If the mesh can be parsed and assigned to transparent parts bsEffectFx, then it makes sense to do so. If not, then all that remains is to experiment with the alpha channel and uv, trying to achieve the desired effect. I believe that normal alpha channel transparency can only be achieved by using high resolution (4k) textures and an alpha mesh instead of a gradient. A fine mesh with a very fine mesh (pattern, pattern) is consistently transparent at all angles. Instead of anti-aliasing, you can use a soft glowmap by assigning a low valuе.It is also worth remembering that the face texture in the game is dxt5, so if this is an overlay, then D other than DXT5 will occasionally lead to a black face error.

Hi, sorry I am not sure what you trying to say

but I made some progress, the source of the problem was using bgEm (BSEffectShaderProperty), I changed it to bgSm (BSLightingShaderProperty)

but with .bgsm material it just don't allow partly transparency (if I set alpha blending = it disappears in game)

There is also way, to set "decal" property of material to true, but in result I have even more bad result (partly transparent part are completely invisible on sky)

So I think F4 just does not support that without this bug for transparency with sky and far objects, only using 2 layer models can be workaround where it does not look bad or material without blending

Edited by Indarello

Obviously, the transparency of the material of one mesh depends only on the alpha channel. If the mesh can be parsed and assigned to transparent parts bsEffectFx, then it makes sense to do so. If not, then all that remains is to experiment with the alpha channel and uv, trying to achieve the desired effect. I believe that normal alpha channel transparency can only be achieved by using high resolution (4k) textures and an alpha mesh instead of a gradient. A fine mesh with a very fine mesh (pattern, pattern) is consistently transparent at all angles. Instead of anti-aliasing, you can use a soft glowmap by assigning a low valuõ.It is also worth remembering that the face texture in the game is dxt5, so if this is an overlay, then D other than DXT5 will occasionally lead to a black face error.

Hi, sorry I am not sure what you trying to say

but I made some progress, the source of the problem was using bgEm (BSEffectShaderProperty), I changed it to bgSm (BSLightingShaderProperty)

but with .bgsm material it just don't allow partly transparency (if I set alpha blending = it disappears in game)

There is also way, to set "decal" property of material to true, but in result I have even more bad result (partly transparent part are completely invisible on sky)

So I think F4 just does not support that without this bug for transparency with sky and far objects, only using 2 layer models can be workaround where it does not look bad or material without blending

There are two assignable static object materials in fo4. These are bsLightingFx and bsEffectFx. The first one assigns bgsm, the second one bgem. Both materials can be either completely transparent or completely opaque. The alpha channel with bsLightingFx works very well. I have advised you to use a fine dark mesh instead of the alpha channel background gradient. This is what Vtaw did for some of his transparent textures. A very fine mesh processed with a blur effect. So, experimenting, you can achieve full transparency (if you don't look very closely).

bsEffectFx works with the alpha channel even more subtly. This is not surprising, because this material is responsible for the rays and light in the game. It gives volumetric and controlled transparency. The nuance is that it is very difficult to set up something well without max. I have no idea how to set up something in one nifskop, where you cannot clearly see what you are doing.