Modified UTI's Require a New Game?

surg23

Hi,

I really hope someone can help me figure out why none of my modifications show up in-game.

All I wanted to do was increase the cost of some armors and weapons. I extract the UTI and make changes with either toolset or Tlkedit and then put it in C:\Users\muttl\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\override

But no changes take effect in-game. My only theory is that I may have to start a new game for items to refresh. Either that or I am not placing the UTI in the right directory.

To add to my confusion, I tried adjusting the cost of the armor from Black Templar armor mod. However the UTI file has a cost value of 0, yet in-game it costs 23g 40 silver. I have no idea where it gets this value from. I thought maybe it's using another items UTI as a base, but I don't know how to find that.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

If these are core items, the right place for them should be \packages\core\override, yes.
You might want to try \modules\single player\override as well, though.

Remember that you must right-click the file after you have made your changes and choose "Export".

When I edit vanilla items in the toolset I generally do NOT check them out, only "Make local copy". Then I do my changes, and do NOT save, only "Export" and normally put in the \packages\core\override folder if it is a Core item.

You should also check if you have duplicates of the files installed. If the item you try to edit is in an override folder already, chances are that the game picks that instead of yours - in such cases I tend to save my edit in a different folder, and then add .bak to tilename of the original item.

Did you already have the items in question? If so, spawn new copies with the developer console to get the revised versions.

The cost of equipment is calculated by the game based on a combination of a base cost (the value in the UTI) + a material modifier (higher tier materials have more value) + any additional properties/buffs applied to the item. Multiple properties will increase the value dramatically. (Ref: Dragon Age Toolset Wiki)

Edited by theskymoves

If these are core items, the right place for them should be \packages\core\override, yes.

You might want to try \modules\single player\override as well, though.

Remember that you must right-click the file after you have made your changes and choose "Export".

When I edit vanilla items in the toolset I generally do NOT check them out, only "Make local copy". Then I do my changes, and do NOT save, only "Export" and normally put in the \packages\core\override folder if it is a Core item.

You should also check if you have duplicates of the files installed. If the item you try to edit is in an override folder already, chances are that the game picks that instead of yours - in such cases I tend to save my edit in a different folder, and then add .bak to tilename of the original item.

I'm not sure what qualifies as a Core item. Does this mean any vanilla content? The files I am trying to edit mostly come from mods I have installed.

I have been using Tlkedit for the UTI files, but there is no Export function. It seems to save changes directly to the file. I do have to export the UTI's files prior to editing them though.

I did check the overrides folder for any duplicates, but none that relate to the files I am working on. There is however an ERF file that pertains to another mod's content- in this case Warden's of Ferleden. I've been curious as to how I would make any loose overrides with that in there. But I think I am complicating the subject.

Many thanks for taking an interest in the plight of a struggling noob. :D

Did you already have the items in question? If so, spawn new copies with the developer console to get the revised versions.

The cost of equipment is calculated by the game based on a combination of a base cost (the value in the UTI) + a material modifier (higher tier materials have more value) + any additional properties/buffs applied to the item. Multiple properties will increase the value dramatically. (Ref: Dragon Age Toolset Wiki)

I did not have the items, but they are listed for sale in Bogdans shop. The problem seems to be that any modification to the respective UTI's won't register for shop items in an existing game.

I did a test with HSLI sexy robes mod, removing the Mage-only restriction and increasing the cost from 6.000 to 12.000 for one armor model. But those changes were only reflected after starting a new game.

I just read what you said about the influence on costs. That would explain why my edits to the cost value did not properly correlate with in-game pricing. With that in mind, should I instead be modifying the material to achieve a more straight forward method for adjusting costs?

I'm really taken aback with just how convoluted the process is just to modify costs of items. Is there a simpler way to go about this? Possibly one that doesn't require me to start a new game every time I want to balance it? At this rate it's going to take me hours just to test pricing for a single item, as I must progress to after Lothering to check the results.

At any rate, I greatly appreciate the help. I was about to give up, but things are slowly starting to make more sense.

Well I finally resolved the issue regarding the Black Templar armor. While the cost is in fact 0 in the UTI file, increasing it will influence the cost, but only in a new game.

At it's default cost of 0 Bogdan offered it for 23g 40 silver. After modifying it to 30.000 the new cost is 104g 40 silver.

It's just terribly unfortunate that I need to hunt down every single UTI file across many mods and "guesstimate" the cost coefficient and then start a new game and progress for several hours to see the result. Surely there has to be an easier way to do this lol.

The game calculates the value on the fly based on the aforementioned variables. There is not a simpler way to modify values, other than possibly altering the core script that generate the values.

The buy/sell calculations for individual vendors can be edited, but IIRC that requires a new game.

An item having been spawned in the stock of a merchant has the same effect as spawning it to the player's inventory: attributes are locked in the save game. You could try uninstalling the mod, cleaning it from your save (uninstall mod, force load game, save in new slot, close game), and then reinstalling the mod + your modified UTIs.

That may remove the original items from Bodahn's stock and respawn them with the new attributes.

Edited by theskymoves

The game calculates the value on the fly based on the aforementioned variables. There is not a simpler way to modify values, other than possibly altering the core script that generate the values.

The buy/sell calculations for individual vendors can be edited, but IIRC that requires a new game.

An item having been spawned in the stock of a merchant has the same effect as spawning it to the player's inventory: attributes are locked in the save game. You could try uninstalling the mod, cleaning it from your save (uninstall mod, force load game, save in new slot, close game), and then reinstalling the mod + your modified UTIs.

That may remove the original items from Bodahn's stock and respawn them with the new attributes.

Well crud.

I am now wondering at what point store items are spawned in. If they only generate once the respective merchant appears then I might be in luck. If they are generated on new game creation then I am equally screwed.

I will resort to trying the uninstall/clean method you have mentioned if all else fails.

Thanks again. You guys have been very helpful and patient. :)

Script-spawned vendor items usually spawn the first time you enter the map, unless there are other requirements specified in the script.

Indeed. It's starting to become clear which one's are spawned in via scripts. Thankfully the Warden and Templar gear appear to fit that category. Those are my primary targets for cost rebalancing anyway.

I'm really not looking forward to purging and cleaning my existing saves to make this stuff work lol.

Thanks again.

I have just now tested the purge/clean save method and it worked, at least for the script spawned items. It' seems that you also have to delete any overrides relating to said mod as any UTI will cause the old entry to linger despite the mod being disabled.

I'm going to have to restrict the scope of this project considerably due to how annoying this system is to work with lol.