MODDERS NEEDED!

Spartan0536

The AN-94 (sometimes called the "Abakan") is an advanced Russian assault rifle. The initials stand for Avtomat Nikonova (after chief designer Gennadiy Nikonov) Model 1994;

The AN-94 was the declared successor to the legendary Kalashnikov series of rifles after the 1980s Soviet Military conducted extensive Abakan advanced assault rifle trials. Gennadiy Nikonov's system reportedly outperformed its many remarkable rivals significantly, proving better still than the most advanced Kalashnikov ever, The 'AKB'.

Thus the Nikonov AN-94 was commissioned for adoption by the Russian Military, with mass production scheduled at the traditional home of the Kalashnikov, the historic Izhmash state factories.

The stated great advantage of the AN-94 system is its ability to 'postpone' recoil until after the round/s fired have left the weapon. This, it is claimed, enables more 'hits' on target under the most adverse combat conditions. The AN-94 offers a two-shot burst function at a stated 1800 shots per minute rate of fire. Simply, the Nikonov mechanism 'sneaks' a superfast second round into a one shot recoil cycle. This - In theory, increases the 'hit' probability. It was chosen over many other competing firearms in an extensive trial, including the AEK-971 design by a team led by Sergey Koksharov. The AN-94 was designed at the Izhmash state factories, as a replacement for the AK-74 assault rifle currently in use in the Russian military. Currently, the Russian military has chosen to retain the AK-74M as its standard service rifle and the AN-94 is only being issued to the elite forces of the Russian military, some Russian police forces, and the MVD. An interesting fact about the AN-94, setting it apart from almost all other Russian weapons, is that it is not sold to foreign buyers.

[edit] Design

A Russian soldier with the AN-94 equipped with a GP-25 grenade launcher.

The most conspicuous identifying feature of the AN-94 is its canted magazine. The AN-94 is chambered in the same 5.45x39mm M74 cartridge as the AK-74, and it utilizes a rotating bolt to lock the action. Nikonov and the other engineers use the Russian term смещенный импульс свободного затвора (smeshchonnyy impuls svobodnovo zatvora) to describe the rifle's method of operation, meaning "blowback shifted pulse". When the bolt carrier is driven backwards by the force of the gas from the cartridge, a pulley activates a cartridge-feeding device. This mechanism allows a much higher rate of fire than would otherwise be possible. This high rate of fire (1,800 rounds/min) is employed in two-round bursts. These form the first two shots on fully automatic fire, with following rounds fired at 600 rounds/min. This -it is claimed,is highly effective against body armour; the second round supposedly strikes at the same point as the first, enabling the penetration of armour that a standard 5.45 mm system cannot. Similar design principle was later used in Mexican FX-05 Xiuhcoatl assault rifle, although externally it is similar with german G36, to the point of accusation of HK patent infringement. The rear peep sight is an improvement over the standard Kalashnikov notch and post. The compound muzzle design is intended to significantly reduce weapon report & muzzle flash.

The AN-94 design is stated to be vastly more accurate than the AK-74M. And unlike the AK-74M, It can mount a GP-30 grenade launcher and bayonet simultaneously. It can also use newly designed 60-round magazines.

It is reported that the AN-94 unit manufacture costs are six times greater than the AK-74M. The mechanism of the AN-94 is comparatively complex and reportedly more demanding to maintain than the efficiently simple & rugged AK-74M. Indications are perhaps, that the Russian Military have found that any advantages of operating the AN-94 are offset by a cumulative costs spiral. Those funds being sorely needed elsewhere in the vast Russian defense budget.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guns are cool too.....I actually have a mod I'm using, it a An-94....or a Updated Ak-47.

I've been wondering how you actually get a gun modled....I've got blender and I've been trying to get the hang of it but...not so good.

Do you texture with it or is there another program like....GIMP?

Inventech5 Can help you there as I know just as much if not less than you on modeling, INventech5 does a good job as well as Neunen, they are both modelers and have quite some skill. Knowing how to model weapons will enable you to get better with people as well, its all the same know-how in a general sense.

I have an OVER EXTENSIVE knowlege of firearms as I was going to be an 18Bravo in the US ARMY, but now im in the SMP to be a 2nd LT and doing electronics warfare, I was considering the AN-94 but chose the AK103 due to the 7.62x39 Mauser 43 rounds that delivers more punch while maintaining the accuracy of the AN94, and the AK103 also features the original design of the ak47 with better more reliable parts, that AK103 is the future of the SPETZNAZ forces check out the Military for mroe info on it.

I know some re-texturing. Not much, but enough to help out.

Also, if you need help with sounds or military advice. I'm your guy!

excellent we need a texture artist welcome to the mod, we are going to need textures for the SV98 and XM110 SASR some time soon, as for your first mission and a test let me see what you can do with Brurpo's 1911 .45 (go for maximum realism). What is your knowledge level/expericnece on militar weaponry and tactics?

ey I can script. I never did any with Ob or F3, but did some heavy modding in Morrowind (which the GECK is closer to than I'd like to think). I might could do a little meshing, but nothing high quality. I can also create new areas for quests if needed using already existing parts (ie not make new items, etc. unless it only involves stat changes)

ey I can script. I never did any with Ob or F3, but did some heavy modding in Morrowind (which the GECK is closer to than I'd like to think). I might could do a little meshing, but nothing high quality. I can also create new areas for quests if needed using already existing parts (ie not make new items, etc. unless it only involves stat changes)

We will need you and you will grow with time, our base is Woodrats Military Base, I will try to draw up schematics, for now explore the GECK using Woodrats base and edit it in your style and show me what you can do so I know what we have to work with. Welcome to the MOD team emallson.

Awesome I cant tell you how exited i am to have an almost complete team working on this project, if it wasnt for any of you and work work and dedication this mod would have never gotten off the ground. My ears have been ringing from all the sound editing of the guns recently, and I have been testing out some new values with some guns to get ideas, I alos am now a memebr of a forensics ballistics site online so I can get actual values and hopefully find a way to accuratley represent them in the GECK.