'Nuther PC Build- Any Advice?

The soundcard actually affects the recording quality IF the mic uses line-in/mic inputs of the soundcard. Most of these mics are more or less "toys" (used for gaming).

For example Modmic has some compatibility issues with different kinds of soundcards.

But personally I recommend to get a condenser mic that does not use any kind of 3rd-party soundcard for recording. Like this one. Ofc there are cheaper options, like the Samson Go Mic or the cheaper t.bone bundle.

Not really sure where you can get them in America though... Samson seems to be easily available but not the t.bone.

And for the sound quality of the headphones/speakers, it mostly falls to the speakers/headphones itself. Soundcard just helps a little - just like the front panel headphone output on my Shinobi case sounds awful because the cable connecting the soundcard and FP is badly shielded from EMI.

So if you only have "gaming" headphones/speakers, I recommend to get a mobo with decent onboard soundcard and stick with it. Some even have headphone amplifiers these days, especially the ones with the best codec ALC1150. Z87 Extreme4 for example has ALC1150 with a headphone amplifier.

If you still want virtual 7.1 for headphones, install Razer Surround.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choosing the soundcard in a nutshell:

1. Choose your headphones/speakers

2. Test if the onboard/what you already have is enough for you

3. If you clearly hear that the soundcard needs improvement, start looking for one.

4. Don't go overboard like I did with my MASSIVE speakers....

5. Done.

Edited by kalikka

kalikka

Nice! THX again for expanding on your prior info..

Not going to be using speakers very much, already got a decent set of stereo plug-ins w/ a sub woofer, but my current headphones are a backup pair w/ no mic. and I desire a set w/ one for future online sessions w/ friends once my computer is built.

As for mic. recording, just need something good/great for voice dialogues and, optionally, voice acting character dialogue for other mod authors.

That said, I'm thinking a good set of headphones w/ a mic. for gaming/online purposes [my local BestBuy has a nice set of SteelSeries full-covers for $90].

Also just a nice plug-in mic. [via sound card] for recordings [maybe $40 for some good clarity/quality.] I've run some voiced companion mods in my FNV game, most are pretty good, but some have had "tinny" voices, like through a bad cell-phone connecton, and I'd like to avoid that if it's a hardware/firmware/software/capabilities kind of issue

In addition, while the primary purpose of my build is game/games related, it is also required to function as my home network hub and occasionally as my work station and family entertainment uses, which means there will be times it's being used for streaming/viewing/using media via HDMI/audio hookups to either of our 2 TVs, although that's going to be a pretty rare event.

But as it will occur, and for the prior reasons, I'm thinking a good sound card and firmware/software.

There's a quote [i forget who by.....me, the input vacuum.....damn memory retrieval system....must be the.....or maybe the....oh, yeah the quote.....]

"The greatest treasure any one can possess is the abundant wealth of information"

Thank you for sharing coins with us from your hoard. I pretty much know what I need for me to progress sound wise, but if you or any body else have any afterthoughts.....

Edited by wulvfen

You can always stick a mic to your headphones.

Materials used:

Zalman ZM-MIC1

old headset for micboom/windscreen (RIP)

While I already have the DT-770, I'm already drooling after the Superlux HD681Evo. In Germany/Europe they cost ~37$ and come with free velour pads that rival the AKG K-240 velour pads in quality (not to forget a 3 year warranty).

Edited by kalikka