Radiation grenades

Rockatanskiy

What I want is a grenade type that deals zero (or close to zero) damage and has no explosion animation, yet it quickly kills opponents with a high concentration of radiation. I don't care about new textures, meshes, animations, etc. All I want is a grenade-type weapon that is something along the lines of:

Radiation Canister

DAM: 1 EFFECTS: rad +50 for 10 sec

I guess the most appropriate model for this would be the nuka-grenade. That would be all I need, but if you want to get fancy, you could add a sound or explosion. Perhaps it could make the same hissing sound as the various pipes you find in the subway maintenance shafts, and maybe the grenade could look the same as a Glowing One radiation attack.

But if someone did make this, would it work against NPCs? Are they even affected by radiation? Cromwell seems to stand in the irradiated water by the bomb all day, yet he never dies. No point in making a weapon if you are the only one who can die from it, right?

So yeah, if anyone could make something like that, that would be great

I know how to change simple things in the GECK, but I don't know how to create my own effects. For instance, I can add a preexisting effect, like flame damage, to a weapon, but I can't make a custom effect that adds radiation. I could use the glowing one attack, but the +2 rads for 4 sec is insignificant.

But all that's ignoring the fact that the GECK doesn't allow you to give any effects at all to grenade/thrown weapons...

You can apply effects to projectiles by using "Weapon" type Object Effects on the projectile's associated explosion, but you won't need to do that for adding radiation "damage". Instead, you can simply give the explosion radiation damage, much like is done with "GrenadeNukaFireBurst" - Just fill in the "Radiation" section in the Explosion window.

Cipscis

As far as I know, radiation never affects any Actors other than the player. If you want to mimic a radiation effect for other Actors, that's going to be an awful lot more complicated. If you're not already familiar enough with modding Fallout 3 to be confident in adding radiation to a grenade, then I'd recommend that you start with a simpler project.

If I understand the situation correctly, you'd basically have to use tokens to mimic the "RadiationRads AV, which is a pretty daunting task to be honest.

Cipscis

As far as I know, radiation never affects any Actors other than the player. If you want to mimic a radiation effect for other Actors, that's going to be an awful lot more complicated. If you're not already familiar enough with modding Fallout 3 to be confident in adding radiation to a grenade, then I'd recommend that you start with a simpler project.

If I understand the situation correctly, you'd basically have to use tokens to mimic the "RadiationRads AV, which is a pretty daunting task to be honest.

Cipscis

What about making it into an incendiary grenade, with no visible fire, but it would have a continuous effect like with the flamer (the fire continues to do damage) but at a faster rate (-9HP/sec).

Cipscis

What about making it into an incendiary grenade, with no visible fire, but it would have a continuous effect like with the flamer (the fire continues to do damage) but at a faster rate (-9HP/sec).

Thanks for all the advice guys. The burning-without-fire idea sounds pretty good, but would it be possible to have the NPCs die in the same way as your dad? Instead of just falling over, he starts to make coughing and choking sounds, and then he slowly kneels over and dies. But like I said, that kind of fancy stuff isn't necessary. It would be great if someone picks this up and makes something decent.

Archived