The Japanese Modding Community

JohnGrimm

• 4 months later...
There are several Japanese modders who regularly post their mods on the Nexus. However, the Japanese mod community has different rules than we go by. They tend to get very upset if someone posts one of their mods without the author's permission. As do some other modders. Due to the language barrier it is often difficult to get that permission. However, We have a policy of following their wishes in this.

well i can find my mods on at least 3 ninja. sites and i didnt give any of these a permission or somin... i guess thats hypocritical to say the least if what you said is true

well i dont have a problem with them hosting my stuff but if they come around and complain about their stuff getting posted then i think it should go both ways or no way...

anyway imo to say the ninja. community has different rules cant be true, they are just humans like the rest and each has a different understanding of courtesy, property and honor, its highly unlikely that they all live by the same codex (maybe you got that idea by talking to some individuals i dont know)

there are people in the west who dont like it if their stuff gets posted left and right aswell, i for one dont like it if my stuff appears on commercial sites like planet, so basicly each case should be viewed independently or in a common global understaning

Rather than expect some sort of global understanding about mods, I think that you should just be very specific about your wishes in regard to your uploads. If you want veto power over the redistribution of your work then say so on the page that presents your work; as in:

DO NOT MODIFY, REDISTRIBUTE, SAMPLE OR OTHERWISE MAKE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR.

Some people may ignore that anyway, but at least they can't claim they didn't know your wishes.

Humm.. from a prospective.. you could say that Japanese modders tend to spend a large amount of time and effort in their creations. Typically, people who put in such effort don't appreciate it being copied/moved/used without their permission, regardless of nationality, without some kind of credit.

If someone finds links to good stuff, feel free to post them. it's not like we're unable to link to it =D and keeping an updated list of links is almost as good as actually hosting the files!

• 3 weeks later...

As do jaysus and multiple other modders, as well as myself (i just dont release anything cause im GREEDY! HAHAHAH) the reason its very hush hush around here (could be) that the neo asian game and tv has alot of hyper sexuality in it, and for some reason alot of people dont take kindly to that O.o idk why....but yeah, people are wierd.

case in point. people dont like people for wierd reasons, example: i dont like slof, not because of the stuff she makes, but because shes so goddamn talented, i wish she would make more mainstream things like her robe trader and horses for oblivion (absolutely beautiful mods). Shes so damn talented, it just hurts that she spends all her time on the more erotic side of games (nothin wrong with that, i do it myself).

Dont flame me LOL,

Payton

well many of the japanese modders even go as far as make personal/private mods which they dont share at all but use to make others envious through screenshots, it seems quite common there... i dont get it tho but hey... each his own -.-

im only bugged by remarks like "they dont want their stuff to get redistributed" as a genral assumption even tho in general they do exactly that themselves with my mods at least (i dont like generalizations)... that was my sole point lol...

edit: ok checked again many of these pages actually link to the nexus which is fine then i guess...