Fallout 4: Red Allert - EUSSR invasion

elyssov

From the bethesda point of view, the only thing that was worth mentioning is that the USSR supplied America with vodka in huge quantities, and it is lying all over the place after 200 years. It is also believed that the Bobrovs were not born in America, but somehow managed to emigrate to the Commonwealth specifically from the territory of the USSR. Probably crossed the Atlantic on nesting dolls. In general, bethesda, in principle, did not waste time on global lore. Anything can sail to the lore from bethesda and become canon. Aliens, ussr, or talking giraffes. But let bethesda do it all.Personally, it seems to me that the world of fallout is missing two components of stage success. First, a romantic story, instead of a boring search for sons / fathers. Secondly, a realistic narrative line, instead of a bunch of urban legends from the 50s. And so this is just a big sandbox for any experimenters who can think of something.

It is also believed that the Bobrovs were not born in America, but somehow managed to emigrate to the Commonwealth specifically from the territory of the USSR.

If you've played Fallout 3, there's that Irish guy in Megaton that gives you information about dad (forgot his name). In the lore, he actually did travel to the Americas and was indeed born in Europe. I'm pretty sure there are a few other characters that've managed to cross the oceans, outside of the ghoulified Chinese agents and whatnot, of course.

According to Tenpenny the UK is of way worse as the Capital Wasteland.

And there is this:

"Allistair Tenpenny came to the Capital Wasteland from Great Britain to seek his fortune, so that alone tells you that the U.K. was also hit in the war. And if he came to U.S. to succeed, that says a lot about how screwed up Europe must be. So we just allude, a little bit, to the state of the rest of the world. We like to leave a lot to the players' imaginations, and somebody like Tenpenny serves as a catalyst for those thoughts." - Emil Pagliarulo (that's a developer from Bethesda)

This is probably also why I'm 'dissapointed' about what the guys from Fallout:London are working on. They pretend nothing happened. (No Nukes, no FEV, no PA, no ghouls, etc. Thats: Not a fallout game! imho) - but I wish them luck on that mod and there might be people who do like it. As for the lore, the UK was NOT spared. (Nobody was)

According to the tiny bit of lore there is, Europe doesn't really exist anymore, before the 2077 'great war'. Due to the 'resource war' that came before it.

Europe and the Middle-east pretty much bombed each other back to the stone age and after that there was a civil war which further devastated Europe.

So, there is nothing left for the USSR to 'conquer'. There is pretty much 0 info on the USSR though. It would be easiest to assume they either perished before 2077, (during the resource wars) or during. (you don't really think they would be 'spared' during a MAD event and left to rule the world? I'm 100% sure they would be nuked, if they even still exist in the 2077 fallout world)

One of the hero of the Fallout 1 - granddaughter of ambassador of the USSR. Its mean US was dont fight with USSR. China was cant fight on two fronts - just have not enough power.
EU - has lost war with Middle East. Its means EU have not enough power too.
Then - USSR is stil alive and not truly damaged on the end of Greate War.

From the bethesda point of view, the only thing that was worth mentioning is that the USSR supplied America with vodka in huge quantities, and it is lying all over the place after 200 years. It is also believed that the Bobrovs were not born in America, but somehow managed to emigrate to the Commonwealth specifically from the territory of the USSR. Probably crossed the Atlantic on nesting dolls. In general, bethesda, in principle, did not waste time on global lore. Anything can sail to the lore from bethesda and become canon. Aliens, ussr, or talking giraffes. But let bethesda do it all.Personally, it seems to me that the world of fallout is missing two components of stage success. First, a romantic story, instead of a boring search for sons / fathers. Secondly, a realistic narrative line, instead of a bunch of urban legends from the 50s. And so this is just a big sandbox for any experimenters who can think of something.

Yes, Bobrovs, with huge accents - are massive plot hole. Fallout 4 have many of holes in plot. But this is one of the biggest.
And my idea can repair it. Lets Bobrovs - is recons of the USSR invasion forces? They be landed in to Commonwealth 10 year ago, preepare soil to new ideas.
Ask any settler about russians now and he (or she) say: "Yes! I know this guys! Our Bobrovs brothers! Good and funny guys with best vodka on the Wastelands!".
And after USSR forces arrival - settler will see frends - not foe.

According to Tenpenny the UK is of way worse as the Capital Wasteland.

And there is this:

"Allistair Tenpenny came to the Capital Wasteland from Great Britain to seek his fortune, so that alone tells you that the U.K. was also hit in the war. And if he came to U.S. to succeed, that says a lot about how screwed up Europe must be. So we just allude, a little bit, to the state of the rest of the world. We like to leave a lot to the players' imaginations, and somebody like Tenpenny serves as a catalyst for those thoughts." - Emil Pagliarulo (that's a developer from Bethesda)

This is probably also why I'm 'dissapointed' about what the guys from Fallout:London are working on. They pretend nothing happened. (No Nukes, no FEV, no PA, no ghouls, etc. Thats: Not a fallout game! imho) - but I wish them luck on that mod and there might be people who do like it. As for the lore, the UK was NOT spared. (Nobody was)

The USSR could conquer Europe easily - being a continental power and having huge ground forces.
However, the weakness of the USSR has always been the sea. Without the resources of the United States to build a full-fledged invasion fleet, the USSR could not even hope to carry out an amphibious operation against Great Britain with any "little blood".
And to bear heavy losses, given the general state of affairs in the world at that time - the USSR was clearly not ready. After all, Great Britain does not represent any valuable resource.
So, most likely, at the end of its victorious campaign to the English Channel, the USSR simply unleashed all its nuclear power on the shores of Foggy Albion.
I will suppose that England even earlier hit Soviet troops and, possibly, even Moscow and Leningrad with its small but unpleasant nuclear forces.
Actually, this is the only scenario in which the UK could receive nuclear damage. Neither the United States nor China made any sense to dissipate their forces on this godforsaken island.

First, a romantic story, instead of a boring search for sons / fathers. Secondly, a realistic narrative line, instead of a bunch of urban legends from the 50s. And so this is just a big sandbox for any experimenters who can think of something.

You are infinitely right, my friend.
How I would like to see the Fallout from Bioware, and early Bioware. Before they got into SJW, and their games became more "agenda" than meaning.
By the way, surprisingly, I have not come across a single mod that would seriously expand the romantic component in the game. There are more or less spelled out characters, there are even at least two more or less sane revivals of Nora (by the way, if only there was someone who would UNIT these mods and implement the reaction from the meeting of Nora the survivor and Nora-Sint and the subsequent "harem" ( or his absence - then how the Survivor will be able to implement diplomatic efforts).
Alas, in none of these mods - no one has modified even a little bit of a successfully idiotic "romantic" system that was originally incorporated into the game:
There is simply no life in this relationship beyond the storyline.
That is, bringing the relationship to the maximum - everything pauses.
It would be very cool if one of the modders created a "True Love" mod (approximate name), in which "life after happily ever after" would be realized.
That is, substantially enhanced interactions between the Survivor and their chosen romantic interest. And even a multitude of these interests (including with each other).
Yes, this is a difficult task. But the game would have played with completely new colors.
And the mission with Sean, I would have "skipped" at all, to be honest. She is so terribly dumb and sickening that it would be better if she simply did not exist. Make "Father" a stranger dude who once ordered the removal of Sean as a genetic sample, but did not save the life of this experiment. So it will come out more dramatically.
And later - seeing the talents of the Survivor and his dedication, he decided to make him his heir. Hiding the truth.
If so, the Survivor has a really difficult dilemma at the end. And there are more reasons to really hate the Institute (although the fact that the Railroad erases the memory of synths than, in fact, kills them - puts them on a par with the Institute).

it's not about the plot, but why the USSR is needed in the game. Fallout by bethesda is a game about characters and their stories. This is not a game about states and historical events. The scale of the series is small communities and areas of a small game world torn off from each other. We do not know what is going on in the neighboring state ... We have a DiamondCity rat hole in the old stadium that is considered a great city ... But why did we need something in the USSR? The Bobrovs are not plot holes and not sleeping agents; they are just an absurd collective image of a criminal element of Russian origin. Such images are typical of Hollywood. These are minor characters.

it's not about the plot, but why the USSR is needed in the game. Fallout by bethesda is a game about characters and their stories. This is not a game about states and historical events. The scale of the series is small communities and areas of a small game world torn off from each other. We do not know what is going on in the neighboring state ... We have a DiamondCity rat hole in the old stadium that is considered a great city ... But why did we need something in the USSR? The Bobrovs are not plot holes and not sleeping agents; they are just an absurd collective image of a criminal element of Russian origin. Such images are typical of Hollywood. These are minor characters.

O! There are many reasons for this!
1) The Soviet Union is charismatic. Even without cranberries, it is brutal, charming and at the same time exotic for the western man in the street.
2) The Soviet Union can become an alternative pole for the vanilla game: let's honestly admit that the existing parties to the conflict are, to put it mildly, bland and dull. Whom to choose? An institute from which they completely shamelessly mold such a bogey? Brotherhood of Steel, who were made outright fascists in F4? Moreover, it is also very clumsy. The subway, which seems to be served by good guys, but at the same time with its fanaticism resembles modern SJWs? Moreover, with the efficiency characteristic of SJW for the "rescued": instead of solving the problem as such - erase the memory, killing the former personality, and send a kick to the wasteland.
Or maybe go to the helpless and mediocre minutemen? Which, generally speaking, do not at all draw on any sort of sane force.
In these conditions, the USSR may seem to some of the players more than a worthy alternative. And for someone - on the contrary, a reason to unite with anyone who can resist the overseas invaders.
3) The introduction of the USSR makes the game world more "dense", more embraced and less "ghostly".
4) This allows you to add new, unusual quests and new equipment, justified by lore.
And so on.
As for the Bobrov brothers, this is precisely the plot hole. Yes, stereotyped. But this stereotype, the creators of the game pushed it without agreeing with the lore. In the end, having broken common sense and the plot: a nuclear war happened 200 years ago. There were Russians in the USA of this world, not to say that there were many (I suspect that in the modern USA there are ten times more Russians, given how rare they are in the game and how often in real life). With a very high probability they could not form their own diasporas, but those that could ... Well, I think Brighton Beach did not survive :-)
200 years is at least 5 generations of Bobrovs from the moment the bombs fell. 5 generations who had no reason to consider Russian as their main language.
5 generations who spoke mainly English from birth to death. At least bilingual.
By the age of 34, my sister speaks fluent English, Russian and German as a native speaker. At a high level - in French. Despite the fact that her native language is Russian and she spoke in it for the first 10 years of her life.
I can cite dozens of similar examples if you like.
What is important here is something else: in order to speak with the level of accent with which the Bobrovs speak, Russian must be your main language for the last 20-30 years.
In the conditions of post-nuclear America, 200 years after the apocalypse, this is simply impossible.

ÃÂ

O! There are many reasons for this!

ÃÂ

1) The Soviet Union is charismatic. Even without cranberries, it is brutal, charming and at the same time exotic for the western man in the street.

ÃÂ

2) The Soviet Union can become an alternative pole for the vanilla game: let's honestly admit that the existing parties to the conflict are, to put it mildly, bland and dull. Whom to choose? An institute from which they completely shamelessly mold such a bogey? Brotherhood of Steel, who were made outright fascists in F4? Moreover, it is also very clumsy. The subway, which seems to be served by good guys, but at the same time with its fanaticism resembles modern SJWs? Moreover, with the efficiency characteristic of SJW for the "rescued": instead of solving the problem as such - erase the memory, killing the former personality, and send a kick to the wasteland.

ÃÂ

Or maybe go to the helpless and mediocre minutemen? Which, generally speaking, do not at all draw on any sort of sane force.

ÃÂ

In these conditions, the USSR may seem to some of the players more than a worthy alternative. And for someone - on the contrary, a reason to unite with anyone who can resist the overseas invaders.

ÃÂ

3) The introduction of the USSR makes the game world more "dense", more embraced and less "ghostly".

ÃÂ

4) This allows you to add new, unusual quests and new equipment, justified by lore.

ÃÂ

And so on.

ÃÂ

As for the Bobrov brothers, this is precisely the plot hole. Yes, stereotyped. But this stereotype, the creators of the game pushed it without agreeing with the lore. In the end, having broken common sense and the plot: a nuclear war happened 200 years ago. There were Russians in the USA of this world, not to say that there were many (I suspect that in the modern USA there are ten times more Russians, given how rare they are in the game and how often in real life). With a very high probability they could not form their own diasporas, but those that could ... Well, I think Brighton Beach did not survive :-)

ÃÂ

200 years is at least 5 generations of Bobrovs from the moment the bombs fell. 5 generations who had no reason to consider Russian as their main language.

ÃÂ

5 generations who spoke mainly English from birth to death. At least bilingual.

ÃÂ

By the age of 34, my sister speaks fluent English, Russian and German as a native speaker. At a high level - in French. Despite the fact that her native language is Russian and she spoke in it for the first 10 years of her life.

ÃÂ

I can cite dozens of similar examples if you like.

ÃÂ

What is important here is something else: in order to speak with the level of accent with which the Bobrovs speak, Russian must be your main language for the last 20-30 years.

ÃÂ

In the conditions of post-nuclear America, 200 years after the apocalypse, this is simply impossible.

I like the Institute. The Institute's problem is that it was cut very hard for release. In the original, until the 15th year, the Institute was more global. I would be interested in restoring all of the original concepts of Bethesda artists. The Institute had its own transports and "sky hunters" on jetpacks with chemical weapons. The first concept art of the Institute was large-scale and had an interesting style. The Institute did not hide, but openly dominated the Commonwealth. In fact, fo4 already has absolutely everything that this game needs. All that is needed is to improve the quality of these factions: their weapons, clothing, their territories / settlements, related quests, vehicles, etc. fo4 is just an uncut, hastily made piece.

mods should beautify the world, not replace the world with another. You need your world, not fo4.

Edited by South8028