This mesh, this texture.

Circuitous

Anyway, I have what I hope is a pretty simple request, a texture swap between two mods involving metal armor.

I'd like a version of the Talon Metal Armor from Raiders Regulators Talon Expanded that uses the mesh from Bare Midriff Leather Armor (the apparently game-breaking metal armor version - direct link to file).

I was hoping this would be a simple NifSkope job like it was in Oblivion, but I can't for the life of me find where the texture is set up in the file, and the Nif from RRTE causes Nifskope to shatter into a million pieces.

I want it to replace Talon Metal Armor, not regular Metal Armor.

If anyone can do this, they'll get mad props.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to touch Nifskope at all to do what you want.

This is the way I'd go about doing it:

1. Rename the Metal Armor Bare Midrift mesh file and put somewhere suitable in the Meshes folder.

2. Rename the Talon Company Metal Armor Texture file and Normal Map (_n.dds) file and put them somewhere suitable in the Textures folder.

3. Open up the GECK - open up ArmorMetal in the Armor section, rename it and hit ok (the GECK will ask if you want to make a new Form ID, hit yes).

4. Still in GECK go into Miscellaneous - Texture Set and make a new Texture Set (right click).

5. In your new texture set and click diffuse then hit edit and then find your Talon Company Metal Armor Texture and hit ok.

6. Next click Normal / Gloss hit edit and then find your Talon Company Metal Armour Normal map file and hit ok.

7. Click ok to close your texture set window and go back to the Armor section and open the Metal Armor entry you made at step 3.

8. Hit edit under Female - Biped model.

9. Hit edit under Model File Name and find the Mesh file you renamed.

10. While still on the Model Data window double click each entry one at a time under Alternate Textures except "Head Meat, Body Meat, Body Caps, Limb Caps" (those four should be the dismemberment bloody sections so don't touch them) and direct each of them to the texture set you made earlier. Then hit ok, then ok again.

11. Place the armor ingame somewhere by dragging the armor entry from the Armor section window into an open Cell View (you need to open a cell view first).

12. Save your work and enjoy.

So it's under texture sets, then? I never noticed it before. I'll take a look, thanks.

Edit: Worked perfectly, thanks a lot. Here are your mad props.

http://www.onehitcombo.net/images/madprops.jpg

(I also gave you some Kudos.)

Out of curiosity, though - is there a way to simply replace a texture on a nif without using a texture set? I noticed that none of the other armors in the Raiders/etc. expanded mod used a new texture set, so there has to be some sort of way to do it. Is it just built in during the conversion process, or what?

If anyone can answer that, they too will get mad props (and probably kudos).

Out of curiosity, though - is there a way to simply replace a texture on a nif without using a texture set? I noticed that none of the other armors in the Raiders/etc. expanded mod used a new texture set, so there has to be some sort of way to do it. Is it just built in during the conversion process, or what?

If anyone can answer that, they too will get mad props (and probably kudos).

Only a few things actually use the texture set function like Outcast Power Armour, pre-war clothing etc. Mostly just for alternate textures for existing items. This way generally space is saved because you don't need two mesh files to do a job that one plus a texture set can do. More texture replacer modders should use this function it would make their files allot smaller.

That said I believe there is a way to do it in Nifskope though I don't know how, so that's why I showed you my method (which probably takes less time that ramming and adjusting a replacement texture onto a model in Nifskope).

Archived