Skyrim Launcher Resets Game?

Live2sculpt

Sometimes, depending on circumstances, launching Skyrim through Steam, instead of your mod organizer, could begin with a fresh resetting of your graphics etc.. I assumed that these changes would be found in the usual ini files found in the documents folder.

So I backed up my ini files before starting up through the Steam launcher, but when I restored my ini files and went back through my usual mod organizer, some of the graphics settings remain altered.

Clearly my assumption is mistaken.

What else does the Steam launcher alter besides the Skyrim press.ini and Skyrim.ini in the documents folder?

Since the "upgrade" I have found that Steam wants to sync your files and libraries, so it requires that Steam is running before you start your game. It looks for a "rungame id" and checks it against your .ini files. If one does not have a legit copy of the game, it isn't going to run. A huge PIA to be sure. I start logged into Steam, run FNiS and LOOT, then launch. When the menu appears, I exit the game, exit out of Steam (not logout), and then restart the game. Yes, it sounds like a lot of BS, but this works great for me.