Fallout New Vegas won't load mods

spartenkiller897

Now before you ask, I have FOMM, I have nexus mod manager, I've been playing on a legal copy of the ultimate edition of Fallout new vegas for almost a year and the only problems I had were too many mods, crashes, etc. But sometime in late June, I decided I wanted to start a new profile, just for the heck of it. I download a huge bunch of mods, and carefully selected which ones I wanted to use. After about 2 to 3 days of downloading and picking mods, I was ready to start this new profile, and then my problem happens. None of them loaded, at first I thought it was only a few, but it was much more than a few that didn't load. I spent weeks, trying to find an answer to annoying problem. However there is some good news. It only happens if a select mod(s) is in my data folder, it doesn't even have to be activated, just there. I also noticed, if I move the esp/esm out of the data folder, rename it, and move it back it works. I've been able to work on mods like run a shop, but that's because I've store my mods elsewhere. I really want to find a solution to this problem, but not just for me, but for everyone that has this problem, please help me and everyone else that used to be able to play new vegas with mods.

Too many mods in the data folder is a well known game engine bug (or undocumented feature) that has been around since at least Oblivion. Wrye (of Wrye Bash fame) wrote an article on that in the Beth forums. The actual number is somewhere above 400 though. The 'Ghost' feature in Wrye Bash was developed to fix that in Oblivion. It hides the unused mods from the game engine. It should also work in NV but I have never tried it. You can move any extra unused esp files out of the data folder - but be sure you move them completely out - Not just to a sub folder inside the data folder as those may still be counted.

Well, that didn't work. I should have known, oh well. Here I'll provide some more details. The mod will load in game if I take it out of my data folder and rename it, and then put it back in the data folder. Volia, it works, except my game doesn't reconise it and thinks it's a new mod, this is okay with some armor mods or gameplay mod but not quest mods. Here's a list of mods I know can cause the problem if they are in the data folder. Keep in mind I had most of these mods before June 28th of 2013 (this is when the problem started). The mods that cause the problem include but are not limited to:

• Project Brazil
  • Improved throwing
  • Zion autumn estate or zan auto purge (one or both of those two)

There are much more mods that cause this problem, no more than 60 but no less than 10. One quick question, does the ghost mode allows mods to be active in game or are they just hidden from the engine until you want to use them. I might be able to use ghost mode on those mods. My plane to try and fix this is to completely remove everything(expect picture, videos, etc.) related to running fallout new vegas and backup my mods, then install new vegas from scratch, add one of the mods that caused all mods not to load and activate it. See if it appears in-game, if anyone else has this problem, we can work together to get rid of this annoyance. I love fallout new vegas too much to "begin again and let go". If anyone has any ideas other than a clean install, please let me know!

Try using Nexus Mod Manager to uninstall all mods you aren't using instead of just moving the .esp out of the data folder, because most of the time you'll miss something. Also be sure to check all your mods for compatibility issues, and make sure that if they require a certain order that they be put in that order.

• 5 months later...

Hi I need some help, I've installed a few mods with Nexus Mod Manager and about two or three have loaded but the others don't seem to and the three that did loaded only after I got rid and turned off some mods, um but yeah I need advice on what to do and this is the only forum I've found on the internet on this subject

Edited by TheCaptain189

Well, some mods might be hidden within folders in the data folder, like "example.esp" could be in "example mod" folder in the data folder. Some mid authors do this for people who manually install. I'm not sure though, can you go into more detail...