Simpler / more balanced housing mods?

RuinsFate

If you want something simple and easy to get to you might consider mods aimed at the vanilla houses. I personally love the location of Breezehome and the convenience of all the merchants fairly close by. I finally settled on using Breezehome Fully Upgradeable as my main home mod. All the crafting stations, lots of storage chests, display cases, mannequins, and shelves to put things on. There is also a upgrade for a dedicated reading room/library with lots of book shelves. My favorite thing about this house mod is the way there are chests linked to the crafting tools. No more making sure you have everything you need to craft something. Just drop all your crafting ingredients in the appropriate chest and they will be used as needed when you use the forge, smelter, work bench, sharpening wheel, tanning rack, alchemy table, and the enchanting table. Give it a look it might be exactly what you are looking for.

adding another vote for Hunter's Cabin of Riverwood http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15878/?

It is very lore friendly, obtainable early in the game, not overpowering at all, just the right amount of storage and conveniences for a more realistic humble playthrough. It's the only housing mod that I consider essential to my load order. The author was very careful how he made it. It's quite detailed and well thought out.