Blank Scene Canvas

LumenMystic

Hey folks, the 'canvas' or workspace of the scene section in Creation Kit is totally blank. I can't add anything or see anything that is already there from the vanilla game. This also manifests on the dialogue view section though I don't use that. I've reinstalled it twice without any fixes in case they were the issue and tested it through the Bethesda.net launcher and as Admin with the same result. As it stands, I can't edit any scenes or build new ones. If anyone has any ideas on potential fixes please let me know. I don't work on scenes very much so I don't know when this started. Thank you.

The CK must be installed in the game folder (not in the Data, but where the executable is).

You must load the game plugin to see them in the Creation Kit (CK). There's a line of button under the menu (File/Edit/View....) The button with a folder open a loading menu where you see the different game plugs: Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, Heartfire.esm, Dragonborn.esm.
Check them all and click "OK".

The "Set as Active File" is needed when you have saved your first .esp. Only the Active file can be modified. If there's no active file (new or first mod), the CK save your modifications and you .esp is active. Sorry if it's badly explained.

If you make a mod using another mod as master, you need to use Zedit (not on Nexus, search for it) or SSEEdit to manually set the other mod as master. You should use the Creation Kit fixes, too - it speed up the loading time

Use THIS, too: Offline Wiki from Bethesda, Creation Kit tutorials (videos), and this: Noob to Noob Tutorial - a blank plugin is here to help if you use Mod Organizer2, create an empty mod and copy paste the blank plugin in it, then rename it. You will see it in the CK, set it as active file.

Cheers

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me, but I figured out the issue. I'd been using CK just fine before so I knew it wasn't the installation location or how I was using it, but some kind of unknown file change. I installed CK on another computer and had the same trouble so I went through everything the two computers had in common.

Turns out the issue was being caused by my antivirus program which was the same on both computers. For anyone else who experiences this problem, add an exception for Creation Kit to your antivirus software as it may be preventing CK from accessing some of its software. This also explained why it used to work just fine and then I started seeing problems; an update for the antivirus had changed the restrictions just enough to be an issue. Thankfully I was able to figure this out with the help of an extra laptop and hopefully this will help someone else in the future.