is XP32 Maximum Skeleton SE safe? (i'm noob)

Hansfranz78

Hi, im in my first mid-game and don't want to destroy it.

I read about save bloat and CTDs, with the XP32 Maximum Skeleton SE.

I don't use Racemenu.
Is that mod safe when i untick all options in the installer of the current version or do i have to expect long saving times and other problems?
I only want to use physics with the cbbe physics body.

The XPMSSE skeleton is widely used by SE players. I won't say "every single one", but I'd guess that at least when discussing PC-based players, 99% are. I have no idea what limitation console players have on their mod choices.

I never heard even once that the XPMSSE skeleton was unsafe.

The fact that save files start to get larger over time isn't a "safety" issue (like installing a mod that some other mod specifically says "Do not run that mod with this mod because the game will go wonky if you do. Proceed at your peril...", or a mod known to be broken enough on its own in such a way as to make the game unplayable, it's simply bloat from all the added info, basically an issue of inconvenience. Some can be prevented or minimized, some can't. But it's not a "safety" issue.

I suppose you can install CBBE without installing XMPSSE if you like. It's not a dependency, so no big deal either way.

That the actual save game file gets bigger over time is correct for sure. As long as you don't get really large files out of nowhere (which IS an indication for actual "save game bloat"), that should be no problem OFC.

Regarding XPMSSE people are talking about the "co-saves" created by SKSE mainly. The problem seems to occur if you try to "overwrite" a savegame with an already very large co-save.

Here's what Groovtama, the creator of XPMSSE, wrote about the issue:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5004160-xp32-maximum-skeleton-special-extended-xpmsse/page-254&do=findComment&comment=65029436

To put the whole thing into perspective: I've been using XPMSSE and its counterpart for Skyrim LE for years. I don't "save over" already existing save games. I simply save to a new slot - which seems to alleviate the issue. And I didn't have any problem at all so far.

Today, XPMSSE is one of the most used mods both for Skyrim LE and SE. The SE version alone has nearly 2 million unique downloads. If it was such a big problem, the whole Skyrim modding community would be upset about XPMSSE - which clearly isn't the case... So, I'd simply use it. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

May we echo @Algabar here?

We have always this skeleton, and have managed hundreds of hours of gameplay on both LE and SE, by simply making a new save every time we need to save, and by not ever saving over an old save, and not ever using quick save, as also advised elsewhere on these forums.

We also occasionally delete SR SE saves we do not ever intend to reload, from both the in-game menu, or from outside the game on PC by navigating to the Skyrim SE saves folder and then deleting ones we know we won't play, after making notes about save numbers while paused in game.