Greatest game series of the decade?

Zaldir

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer: shoulda been Fallout.

Fallout is easily the greatest series ever conceived, Fallout 2 being the best game of all time, just barely beating Might and Magic VI as my most played game of all time. I still have the original disc(s) for them bought the year of their release, which was 1998, and I've replayed them both from beginning to end earlier this year, fifteen years later. Both games never saw proper sequels because of corporate idiocy.

Might and Magic IV & V, aka World of Xeen, is the RPG with which I have the fondest memories, my favorite RPG you might say, with Final Fantasy IV taking runner up. Even the Isles of Terra remains a solid game worth playing. Baldur's Gate was a great classic series too, that remains unchallenged in many respects.

But if I have to judge the entire series, not individual games, and include any genre, the list is probably:

Fallout

Hitman (though Absolution was a bit of a disappointment)

GTA (also loved RDR)

TES

Virtually the only games I've bought for years come from these series.

Sorry Bethesda, I love your stuff, bought Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, and have played each of them to death, over a thousand hours I'm sure between the four of them, but there is just some serious charisma dripping from these games that TES lacks. TES has top notch lore, and the potential to surpass these games though, I'm sure of it. It's just not there yet.

I love the huge sandbox and the great stealth mechanics in TES, but that's the only modern aspect of RPGs I'd genuinely term an improvement. Many modern "improvements" nerf RPGs. Fancier graphics limit the amount of spells and weapons but most especially the types of enemies to be found in them and voice acting decimates the script. I think TES needs to find some middle ground there if it is to be the greatest RPG series of all time.

Most underrated game which deserved a long and storied series: Arcanum. If you haven't played Arcanum, go play Arcanum.

Edited by budcat