Streched snow textures on side of objects (heavily modded)

Larsi123

Hey there!

I'm having issues with streched textures like in the screenshots below.

I have many texture mods overwriting each other but after hours of disabling and retesting i cannot figure out what mod or combination causes the issue.

Maybe knowing what file is responsibe for this snow effect would help.

Maybe i'm on the wrong track and it's not a texture, but a mesh issue...

Screenshots:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2755574756

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2755574712

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2755574673

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2755574575

What you see in the pics is Bethesda's idea of a "snow shader". Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it.

In general, I'd disable the so-called "improved snow shader" Bethesda gave us with SE. IMHO, it's even worse than the original. To disable the "improved" shader, put "bEnableImprovedSnow=0" under "Display" into your SkyrimPrefs.ini. Or you can uncheck the "improved snow shader" box in BethIni, if you use it (highly recommended).

Mods for dynamic snow like "Better Dynamic Snow" or "Simplicity of Snow" make dynamic snow generally look much better, but they can't do much (if anything at all) about those ugly white stripes on walls.

Last ressort: If you're somewhat familiar with the Creation Kit, you can disable the snow shader on the most offending meshes. Find the mesh in the CK, "edit" it and find the "directional material" dropdown menu. Setting "directional material" to "NONE" will disable any unwanted shader. Problem is, this only works for base meshes. So going this route means disabling the snow shader on all pieces, that use the base mesh you changed. Use with caution... TBH, in my game I disabled some of the worst looking snow shader effects on Windhelm walls this way.

In the end, it's Skyrim... You have to make some compromises...

Thanks for your input! I have modded Skyrim a lot so i'm familiar with most methods of fixing all kinds of issues. But somehow i never ran into this particular graphics issue. Even on my other Skyrim SE modding endeavors in the past.

I'm already using the two snow mods you mentioned after trying to google about this issue and maybe thinking they completely replace the trashy vanilla shader.

But i actually completely forgot about BethINI for some reason this time, even though i always used it in the past. So thanks for reminding me to use this awesome tool!

Like you said it doesn't really help a lot with this issue. So if i really can't be bothered to look at it i'll maybe try to edit the meshes like the high hrothgar walls or some of Windhelms walls.

What still seems odd is that the Solstheim ash shader should work in the same way, but there i don't have any streching texture issues on walls. The ash shader doesn't seem to be affected.

I'm already using the two snow mods you mentioned after trying to google about this issue and maybe thinking they completely replace the trashy vanilla shader.

Hm... You shouldn't use both. "Better Dynamic Snow" and "Simplicity of Snow" are incompatible with each other. Choose one or the other. That's definitely not the reason for ugly snow shaders on walls though...

Like you said it doesn't really help a lot with this issue. So if i really can't be bothered to look at it i'll maybe try to edit the meshes like the high hrothgar walls or some of Windhelms walls.

What still seems odd is that the Solstheim ash shader should work in the same way, but there i don't have any streching texture issues on walls. The ash shader doesn't seem to be affected.

Yep, somehow the ash shaders don't suffer from the same problems as snow shaders. TBH, I don't have an explanation either. But I suppose if it was relatively easy to develop a better snow shader, someone would already have done it.

The ugly snow shader stripes in Windhelm are from the Vanilla game. TBH, I'm not so sure about High Hrothgar. In my game (which is heavily modded, too), High Hrothgar walls don't have that snow shader. And AFAIK, I only got a texture replacer (currently Skyland) installed for those walls.

So maybe the snow shader comes from a mod. From my experience, Bethesda seems to be aware of the shortcomings of their snow shaders, so they don't use them too often on walls and the like. It's the same with the College of Winterhold: AFAIK no snow shaders on vertical walls there.

So, before going into the CK, you could also try different texture/mesh replacers for High Hrothgar.