Looking for help with LE to SE conversion

Chaimberlain

BLUF: SE port causes crash on game launch, request assistance with fix.

Hello nexus,

I have recently gotten back into Skyrim after at least a 4 year hiatus. As usual, actually playing was preceded by a week's worth of mod prep. This time, however, I decided to try my hand at porting mods from LE myself rather than relying on the community (I found out pretty quick in college that software was not my forte), and have generally found great success. However, there is one file that is still proving problematic.

I tried to port the mod "Dragon Merchant with Buyable Dragon Souls" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/15467) as it makes a fantastic late game gold-dump when paired with Dragon Soul Relinquishment. However, the resulting port prevents my game from launching. It is similar to when there is a missing master for an .esp and the game simply doesn't launch. I sit there, watch MO lock as SKSE runs, and then watch MO unlock as the program fails. I have been able to determine that the cause is not a conflict, but have been unable to trace the cause any farther. I have examined the file in the CK, which I am admittedly not experienced with, and in SSEEdit, which I am experienced with, and in neither did I find the issue.

I'm sure I missed a step, but none of the guides I've found online so far have illuminated the issue.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Just had a look at the original mod. It has a somewhat strange file structure. No idea, what the author wanted to achieve with the empty .bsa file. :ermm:

I made a quick test and got it to work in AE.

What I did:

1. Delete dragonsoulgem.bsa, dragonsoulgem.bsl and dragonsoulgem.ckm.

Explanation: AFAIK, .bsl and .ckm files are used for Bethesda's archive.exe (and were also used for uploading mods to the "Steam Workshop" ages ago). Both have no in game use nowadays. Same goes for an empty .bsa file. Useless - but maybe the cause of your issues: "Oldrim" BSAs don't work in SE/AE. They need to be extracted for conversion and can be repackaged (optional).

2. Create a new .zip or .rar archive of the mod, containing only the .esp and the "scripts" folder with the two .pex files.

3. Install with a mod manager in SE/AE.

4. Load the .esp plugin into the Creation Kit and save it once to upgrade it to the SE/AE plugin format.

5. Dragon? Profit? Profit for the Dragon? :cool:

Just had a look at the original mod. It has a somewhat strange file structure. No idea, what the author wanted to achieve with the empty .bsa file. :ermm:

Well hot damn it worked! Thanks a bunch. Now, let's make that dragon disgustingly rich... off of the souls of other dragons..... kinda morbid now that I think of it.

Well hot damn it worked! Thanks a bunch. Now, let's make that dragon disgustingly rich... off of the souls of other dragons..... kinda morbid now that I think of it.

You're welcome. Glad it worked.