Megatown Step Crash! Help me pls

l0n3llyw0lf

Hi, this is my first SOS message after 3 days i've tried to fix crash my beloved FALLOUT 3 game but can't resolve it :( so please if anyone have same problem like me share it :smile:

Ok, i download great quality mod in fallout Mod downloads and its all works well, nothing happen anything until i go to Megatown Gate and enter it but then i am out from fallout game to windows nicely :pinch: . I enter the game again and try to enter Megatown but it same before, so i think maybe there are something problem with some Mod and i try to check it. Uncheck one by one Mod and enter the game but still same. Until nothing Mod check just Fallout3. ESM but the problem can't resolve. Then i try another method, i teleport my char with full check Mod to Megatown with command line to Megatown Common House its work! i can enter Megatown and try to walk out to Megatown resident but then i found out some bad crash graphic every time i use free camera in the Megatown :blink: (use middle mouse button but normal if use it out of wasteland) and same crash everytime i walk in front of Megatown doc clinic. Realy this one make me headache :wacko: coz' i try without the mod (uncheck it) but still same problem, last choice i reinstal Fallout 3 from beginning and not use another change Mod, texture, meshes. Sadly.......... :unsure: so if anyone have same problem like me and can resolve it please share it with me :thanks: .

NB: I not instal and use any Mod that change Megatown architecture

I am not sure if this will help, but I can say that I too have experienced this... I only have a 8800GTX and it took me a long time to find a good setup for it.

If my graphics are set too high I crash as soon as I enter somewhere. I have also discovered that once I enter an area I need to stand still for about 3-5 seconds.

After this I can move around freely with zero crashes for hours on end.

Here is the settings I use (flawless gameplay settings I found 2 days ago - zero crashes so far*high quality). like I said if my graphics are too high it crashes when

I enter or exit a zone. I think this is an actual indicator that the game knows your graphics are set too high. You also get better AA by using CSAA vs Multisampled AA

8x CSAA doubled the quality at the cost of regular 4x speed which is why I have CSAA forced and Game options AA/AF completely off.

Here is the settings: (Working perfectly for a [email protected] and a single 8800GTX)

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1763/settingsk.th.png

Direct Link:

http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=settingsk.png

Hope they work for you, I am completely satisfied with them for running fallout in HQ with all kinds of mods.

Few extra images showing these settings on a single 8800GTX:

My character:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7688/screenshot81.th.jpg

Dimonized Type 3 on my high quality settings: That v1texture blends perfectly to the type 3 body (Normally there is a mismatch at the neckline on most body replacers).

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6105/screenshot71.th.jpg

Game world itself on high quality:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5618/screenshot91.th.jpg

As you can see the detail is still very high quality so nothing is really lost at all - I am very satisfied with these settings and I hope they work for you. They definately solved all of my crashes I run all these mods too on an old 8800GTX 768MB. Just trying to help, these settings sure did help me. I used to crash as soon as I exited the vault or when I got right near the super market.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5884/mods.th.jpg

FINALLY I CAN REALLY ENJOY THE GAME FOR HOURS ON END!!!

To sum it up I discovered that until my graphics are low enough or properly configured I would crash like crazy. I'd be willing to bet your graphics are too high.

v-sync is the number #1 framerate killer.

I also found that super sampled transparency has a major effect on the game (it shouldn't but it does) - However using multi sampled transparency has a very un-noticable performance hit. The fact that my game would fail to load or crash when I hit continue until I lowered my graphics tells me that your settings have to properly configured. I can't even get into the game or past the main menu on ultra, but as soon as I set it to high - I can continue, but I still experience crashes until I use my new settings shown above (with those its zero crashes). The game is very picky about graphical settings

Thanks for your reply Fuzion, my self use GForce 8600 GT and so far so good when i use the Mod with high quality :thumbsup: . I found new problem about crash in Megaton, everytime i try to look the gate it was crash graphic but not out to window. So i try to check it then i found some of NPC include Lucas Sims stand there, behind megaton gate and not moving. So i think there are some script of NPC damage or lose i don't know :mellow: . Maybe when i change texture or meshes that change NPC, it cannot recognize with another Mod texture and meshes. I still investigate the problem but first, Thank's for u solve problem help. I will try it, hope it works well :thanks:

Update: Now i can reveal this big F******g headache why always crash if i step on the Megaton gate. Thanks to Breeze he can found the problem b4 me ;D :bunny:

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Now i can reveal this big F******g headache why always crash if i step on the Megaton gate. Thanks to Breeze he can found the problem b4 me ;D :bunny:

I have the same problem with Megaton. All the mods I have installed worked perfectly, then suddenly I crash while entering Megaton. What was the solution for you? Maybe it can help me. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I just started a new character, now mine is crashing trying to enter megaton too. This is after running flawlessly on all my other saves. 1.6 on fresh install, and Broken Steel.

Broken was a bad choice of words Bethesda. More like Broken Content.

Maybe you could update to 1.7? I dunno about it but It could sort things out BUT the FOMM probably will not work as they have not as of yet updated it. Tho some people have reported that the game works but errors are rife.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, okay, here is a small refinement of the problem = It's Lucas Simms.

the ENTIRE game runs fine, everything, except whenever the camera looks at him from a distance, the Fallout shell flickers between the game and your desktop every other second, with random/corrupted graphics distorting the screen. It makes no sense, but it is simms. I used the console to jump to crater side supply, "movetoqt." Walk out, everything is fine.

If you wait, eventually simms walks through the town, totally invisible, and by some accident you look at him on your screen, and the crash starts. If you dont look at him, you're fine.

You cant enter megaton gates only because he's standing there.

1.7 does nothing.