Need help with FOMM - Need proper directories

Plorf

It's a known bug with FOMM, (and something I was hoping to avoid, but oh well.) The work-around is rather involved.

1) Unistall FOMM.

2) Re-install an older version of FOMM (Before version 12) making sure NOT to allow it to install in the default directory, (C:\Program Files...) but instead placing it off your C:\ root.

3) Run FOMM, but do not allow it to update itself.

4) Close out FOMM and install the current version over the top of the install you just did.

You should now be functional, with the added bonus that the initial problem we were working on should go away (Provided you set you Fomod and Mod directiories as was discussed above.

This files stuff is really difficult for me. So where could I get an older version of FOMM? And the C:\ root? You mean the GEMM thing i mentioned earlier?

And I apologize for using computer terms you're not familiar with. In a way, you could think of this as an education in computer terminology. (Although I suspect you're much more interested in getting your game running)

Older versions of FOMM are available on the Nexus download page for the mod. Just scroll down past the current versions section, and you'll see a list of older versions of the mod.

You are spot on in interpreting what root means. C:\GEMM is said to be "Off the root" or root for short. Likewise, if you create a directory within GEMM, say for instance C:\GEMM\mods, the "mods" directory is said to be off GEMM. BTW, you may want to create to subdirectories ("Off GEMM", as we just discussed,) C:\GEMM\mods and C:\GEMM\Fomods, and using these to store your mods list and fomods when you install FOMM. (Don't worry about having to move anything into these directories, FOMM will take care of that automatically, we just need to tell FOMM where to put things. This way, you will have everything related to FOMM's operation contained in the single "GEMM" directory. This could save you on headaches down the road if you run into a "Where did I put....?" question.)

And I apologize for using computer terms you're not familiar with. In a way, you could think of this as an education in computer terminology. (Although I suspect you're much more interested in getting your game running)

Older versions of FOMM are available on the Nexus download page for the mod. Just scroll down past the current versions section, and you'll see a list of older versions of the mod.

You are spot on in interpreting what root means. C:\GEMM is said to be "Off the root" or root for short. Likewise, if you create a directory within GEMM, say for instance C:\GEMM\mods, the "mods" directory is said to be off GEMM. BTW, you may want to create to subdirectories ("Off GEMM", as we just discussed,) C:\GEMM\mods and C:\GEMM\Fomods, and using these to store your mods list and fomods when you install FOMM. (Don't worry about having to move anything into these directories, FOMM will take care of that automatically, we just need to tell FOMM where to put things. This way, you will have everything related to FOMM's operation contained in the single "GEMM" directory. This could save you on headaches down the road if you run into a "Where did I put....?" question.)

Ok so to do this, I basically have to make a mods and fomod folder under \GEMM, correct?

It's a known bug with FOMM, (and something I was hoping to avoid, but oh well.) The work-around is rather involved.

1) Unistall FOMM.

2) Re-install an older version of FOMM (Before version 12) making sure NOT to allow it to install in the default directory, (C:\Program Files...) but instead placing it off your C:\ root.

3) Run FOMM, but do not allow it to update itself.

4) Close out FOMM and install the current version over the top of the install you just did.

You should now be functional, with the added bonus that the initial problem we were working on should go away (Provided you set you Fomod and Mod directiories as was discussed above.

OK

I uninstalled FOMM

As I was re installing it, I made sure to install it to C:\GEMM (which is a new folder, since the previous GEMM was deleted along with FOMM)

It didn't update

I closed out, and re installed.

Now it still wont work. I have no clue where to put the directories. Still. So I made a fomods folder under C:\GEMM (where FOMM currently is as well, and there was already a mods folder so I didn't make another)

So now it looks like this.

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/daarken-gaia/fommtrouble-directories_zpsbb004700.png

Tell me specifically where everything needs to be directed to now. Also is the fallout 3 directory a problem at all?

Edited by Plorf

Other than not placing the entire structure within C:\program files, where you make the folders is immaterial, as long as you make them and can remember where you put them.

Other than not placing the entire structure within C:\program files, where you make the folders is immaterial, as long as you make them and can remember where you put them.

Well when I activate a mod it still doesn't appear on the .esm files list. Or whatever the list prefixes are.

This is maddening.