ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Dying is for losers

Azyre1

Just wondering what others think about the ending of the game

I have kind of stated how I feel about the ending in the topic of the post but wondering how others feel

good greef why bring out expantions if your char is DEAD (yes I know you can send in the girl ect not what i am getting over all )

anyway i wanted to rant a bit and have

so how do you all feel?

Just wondering what others think about the ending of the game

I have kind of stated how I feel about the ending in the topic of the post but wondering how others feel

good greef why bring out expantions if your char is DEAD (yes I know you can send in the girl ect not what i am getting over all )

anyway i wanted to rant a bit and have

so how go you all feel?

Me, I can accept a bittersweet ending -I won't like it, but I can accept it- and I guess that thematically it worked well with James' very similar death, the importance of personal sacrifice and all that. But I can't accept bad writing.

The ending for the main storyline in Fallout 3 was very forced. Case in point, you have the option of bringing one of three companions who are all more or less immune to radiation (Fawkes, Charon and Sergeant RL-3) but non of them can be convinced to go into the chamber and punch the code in.

That's not just a disappointing ending, that's plain bad writing.

Not to mention, the fact that Bethesda has apparently decided to retcon the whole thing shows A) a major lack of foresight on their part and B) that they didn't feel that strongly about the ending to begin with.

I think Bethesda changing the ending is a response to the fans' response to it.

There's so much to do in the game, you shouldn't have to delay the main quest just so you can explore the world.

I think it's awesome that they're going to change the ending of the game, it's always nice when a company listens to its fans.

There's so much to do in the game, you shouldn't have to delay the main quest just so you can explore the world.

Or, you do what most people do: don't finish the main quest until you feel like you're done. No one says you have to rush through the whole main storyline right away, not when there's a whole lot of side-quests to explore on the side. That's how RPG's tend to work. Heck, most of the Japanese ones are designed entirely around that principle.

Thing is, the game still needs an ending. If you could go through Take It Back like any other quest you get a game that doesn't have an ending at all, so there'd be no sense of closure. You'd just keep roaming the DC Wasteland forever.

The exact same thing applies to Broken Steel. For this to make any sense, the ending for Broken Steel is going to have to be the real ending for Fallout 3, won't it? And once you get there, you'll still have a lot of world to explore. Because we aren't gaining extra time to spend on exploring and side-questing, we're gaining more main storyline to delay if we want to do all those things.

Most RPGs with an overarching plotline dotted with side quests don't offer the ability to fast-forward from Point A to Point B, completely bypassing everything along the way. The end areas have tougher monsters, forcing you to actually do things and level up. Areas are locked off until you can complete an objective to open it up. Etc.

In Fallout 3 you could do the MQ in 15-20 minutes if you put some effort into it, with no actual difficulty because everything is level 1.

Most RPGs with an overarching plotline dotted with side quests don't offer the ability to fast-forward from Point A to Point B, completely bypassing everything along the way. The end areas have tougher monsters, forcing you to actually do things and level up. Areas are locked off until you can complete an objective to open it up. Etc.

In Fallout 3 you could do the MQ in 15-20 minutes if you put some effort into it, with no actual difficulty because everything is level 1.

TGM

MOVETOQT

lol

cough *Morrowind* cough

That's the one thing about this game, I only felt threatened during my romps across the Wastes after I installed Increased Increased Spawns, and even then at the later levels you just become such a killing machine that it doesn't really matter anymore.

• 2 months later...
I have BS, but I haven't finished the game (Dr. Li DISAPPEARED and I can't have the conversation in the Rivet City lab) but it does seem like your kinda wandering the wastes forever, theres just a couple more sidequests about delivering water to the wasteland, and I think that once you finish all the sidequests, theres nothing to do besides DLCs and mods