Folgunthur Gate is Already Open?!

Skybroom

So, as I can remember the metal gate in the first chamber used to be locked down when you first visit that place. Shouldn't it be locked? Doesn't it require a puzzle to be solved, pillars, ivory claw...? I don't know. This time, quite early on my new playthrough (I haven't been to Saarthal, haven't read the "Forbidden Legend" book), I just happened to be next to Folgunthur, visit the Daynas Valen's camp site, pick up his diary, and I decided to drop by into the tomb nextdoor. Just to find the gate already open... Is that how it goes?

What do you know about this quest's different scenarios if those exist?

Thank you

Edited by Skybroom

Are you referring to the part where the

gate closes BEHIND you upon first entry? The locked part should show up when you go through that chamber, and up, where the small pedestal for the dragon claw is...

It has been some time since I have done this one, but this is my remembrance.

If I remember correctly, yes.

It may only do that if you have completed the quest stages for Draynas' body to appear In my game there is almost always a 'rattlebones' skeleton, where the physics goes crazy. There is a path to the right, once you have battled the draugr guardians, you must go around and up to an elevated path, where there is another claw pedestal, and Draynas' body. The claw is on his body, or maybe in the pedestal already, w/more guardians beyond.

Now, I play the SE version (1.597), but I don't think that this quest has changed any. Do you use the Unofficial Patch for Skyrim? There may be some sort of bug fix included in that package...

BTW, the diary itself may have been sufficient to initiate the Folgunthur stages, w/o starting Forbidden Legend. I also thought that a copy of that book is somewhere in Folgunthur.

Yes, I have USLEEP. I am on LE. I should probably step back to the save when I haven't yet read the Mage's Notes.

So, the doorway sure has to be already open, huh? As soon as Daynas Valen made it through...

At this rate I tend to think of the case when it was closed as of a buggy situation. I used to head to Folgunthur after completing Saarthal with one of the Gauldur Amulet fragments as a reward. I remember having an objective "Investigate the cryptic message", but I can't remember having a marker on a map. And as I entered Folgunthur the barred gate used to always been closed down with no chance for me to enter. No matter how many times I read the camp diary.