Complete Newbie to Vortex and modding, need help with errors. (Incompatible Archives and others)

Kintrotic

I am running Skyrim on a fresh (barring mods) install on a fresh (Never been gamed on before) laptop. I have 16gb Ram and plenty of space. The only mods I'm trying to install are ones that I had on my last laptop before it died, and I'm trying to make Vortex work for me, which is new. Last time I just dumped them all in my mods folder and fiddled until most of them ran. The problem is that I have four mods that have apparently incompatible archives, and I don't know how to resolve this issue. The mods in question are Falskaar.esm, Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.bsa, Helgen Reborn.esp, and Interactive Armors. All four are throwing up the same error that it is intended for use in Skyrim (2011)/Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas.
Immersive Citizens, Falskaar and Helgen are also pointing out unresolved file conflicts, which is again, information I cannot use, due to being a complete moron on such matters. Any help would be appreciated. I've read that perhaps the Skyrim Downgrade mod might help, but that seems like a big step to go straight to.

One last thing, I installed SKSE64 in Steam but it doesn't run, instead sending me to a Steam Store page. I include this in case it might be helpful. If I'm missing information, I will provide it upon request.

Thank you for helping out a dummy in this matter.

1. If you are running the newest AE base (v. 1.6+), make sure that you have d/l the mods from the Skyrim Special Edition Nexus, not Skyrim Nexus. This could be the source of the incompatible archives, getting them from the wrong source.

2. Make sure your SKSE is the proper version for your installed version of SSE (2.1.5 for v. 1.6+), and that you followed the install instructions. BTW, which of your mods need SKSE? If none of them does, leave it out for now, you can install it later, and start a new game.

I have Falskaar and Helgen Reborn running together in my large LO, and no file conflicts. Go to the Plugins tab, and look for the red lightning bolts. Click on one, and see what it says about the conflicts. You simply choose which mod that you want to override (use its information or data) the other in the dialog boxes, and can even choose individual files from each mod to 'win' the conflict, if you wish. Oh, and rely on the LOOT found in Vortex to start your LO, don't also install a standalone LOOT, as they will fight each other (I know this from previous experience...).

I think that I would start by only installing Falskaar, Helgen Reborn, and the Unofficial Patch first, and seeing what conflicts you find. I don't have any in my LO between these three, and the Unofficial Patch can help stomp a LOT of bugs. Then, add one of your others, start a new game, and test by resolving conflicts, test again. I used to use Immersive Citizens, but it caused too may problems with starting/finishing quests, marketing loot, etc., b/c it was so aggressive in how it modified behaviors.

BTW, are you referring to Immersive Armors in your original post? I don't see an entry for Interactive Armors at all, even when using DDG for a widenet search.

Hmmm, well knowing there were two different websites might make a difference. Is there a way to tell where a file came from? I have Skyrim Special Edition, but haven't updated to the Anniversary edition. And yes, I was referring to Immersive Armors, my apologies for the mistake. I don't do a lot of modding, so at least the diagnostic process should be easy to finish. My Skyrim SE Product Version (Patch number?) is 1.6.353.0 if that helps.

Edited by Kintrotic

You are using Vortex, as long as you got the files from the Skyrim Special Edition (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition) site, they should be okay. You can check the file d/l name on the mod site against the file name in your downloads tab on Vortex (make sure that the View All Downloads option is enabled at the bottom of the window, you can change it back to the default later). For example, Helgen Reborn on the SSE site has a version number of V106.SSE, whereas the file on Skyrim (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/35841) has a version number of 105.3. Also, the 'Plugins' tab on Vortex will show you a lot of good information if you use the 'Flags' header, and select 'LOOT messages'. You will then get a listing of all of your plugins that LOOT (as a part of Vortex) sees something to tell you about. This is where it should say something about Form 43 (for LE) vs form 44 (for your current Skyrim SE).

BTW, there is a lot of confusion about how to talk about SE vs AE. Your game version is the SE BASE version for the Anniversary Edition (AE), and has four (I think) added CC mods. Just make sure you cite that version number when you are talking to someone, or checking prerequisites for mods, and it will be OK. You will occasionally have to double-check a mod that says it needs the 'CC content' to see if it needs the full AE to run, but Vortex will tip you off to 'missing masters' if you mess up.

You can look for tutorials (video and/or text) on how to use Vortex to resolve conflicts. They can be resolved at installation as they arise, or on the 'Mods' tab, where you will see small lightning bolts (green - overwrite choice made, red - unresolved choice(s) to be made). You can change them again later, if you make a choice that doesn't work so well.

Anyways, this is getting to be a wall of text, so I will summarize - 1. Get your mods from the Skyrim Special Edition on Nexus. 2. Install them one at a time, make sure to 'deploy' and 'enable' the mods (there is a setting to help you do these at the same time). 3. Do not be afraid to check out the extra information on both the 'Mods' tab and the 'Plugins' tab on Vortex.