Help, settlers won't talk to each other

Trawlol

I don't know if this is a game bug or a mod problem but I noticed my settlers never talk to each other or visit stores. They talk to me, do their jobs and gather around bars but they never speak to each other except in Vault 88 where they chat vault specific lines. Even default settlers at Abernathy don't seem to talk anymore.

My mods are a mess, not worth trying to make sense of them, but I once tried disabling any settler related mods I could find and nothing changed. I have an old version of Don't Call Me Settler installed since I didn't know it was buggy before, but I tried disabling that and cleaning the scripts from my save but still no change. I thought about starting a new game without DCMS but it would take hours before I get to build stores and then sit around hoping for someone to say something lol.

Is this a known issue, any idea how to fix or what to look for in xEdit?

• 1 year later...

These dialogues rely on Story Manager events and some AI related game settings.

To check if a mod overwrites these, open the console and type:

GetGS fAISocialRadiusToTriggerConversation (default = 1500)

GetGS fAISocialchanceForConversation (default = 100)

GetGS is short for GetGameSetting, it's a native console function.

If they're on default, then the AI of your settlers might have been overwritten by a mod. (FO4Edit probably won't show record conflicts because most AI mods overwrite NPC AI remotely without touching the AI Packages' records).

Without a custom script and the Papyrus log, you can't see what AI Package controls actively an NPC..

Edited by LarannKiar