ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

An Immersive way of Leveling.

stratgan

Good evening,

I am posting for the first time to share what I believe to be a really fun way to go experience Skyrim. After dozens of playthroughs, I found my self doing the same things over and over, and I needed something more exiting. So, after searching the nexus I found a really awesome 2 mod combination. First : Community Uncapper. Second : Relinquish dragon souls.

I modified the .ini file from uncapper so that I still level skills as normal, however they never progress my level (there is a thread on how to do this). This means I am level 1 forever. With this in mind, I start my lowly character as a no one, and through force of circumstance, become the Dragonborn, so it makes sense that everytime I absorb a dragon's soul, I can use the knowledge to increase in power. With the Relinquish dragon souls mod, I can gain perks/hp/mana/stam, just about everything you can think of, and it fits perfectly lorewise.

All I can say is that it has been the best experience I have ever had in any game, bar none. Every perk you get has to be earned killing a dragon, and all this can be achieved with just two mods. It took me a long time to figure this out, and I wanted to share it with this wonderful community.

Check it out, and let me know what you think.

Stratgan

Sorry a question about community uncapper, i want to win 3 points perk by level and increase speed level up (by 2 or 3) ; which values precisely i have to change in the ini ?

sorry mate, not the creator, and I did not dabble it that part, but everything I learned was in this link :

http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/1955-configuring-elys-uncapper/

hope you can figure it out :)

Stratgan

Stupid question, but how do you kill a dragon at level 1 (with minimum HP's and no skill perks) to get the dragon souls to relinquish? The first one, sure, the Whiterun guards can kill it (or severely injure it) for you. After that?

At level 1, I've been mauled to death by a Sabre Cat so fast I never did find out where he came from.

At level 1, I've been hammerjacked mercilessly by the bandit leader in Halted Stream Camp.

At level 1, the roving Thalmor patrol laugh at me.

At level 1, I run faster than Forest Gump at Alabama when I see even a single Falmer

Can't even imagine what a dragon would do to me - eat me whole?

Edited by fraquar

Sorry a question about community uncapper, i want to win 3 points perk by level and increase speed level up (by 2 or 3) ; which values precisely i have to change in the ini ?

sorry mate, not the creator, and I did not dabble it that part, but everything I learned was in this link :

http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/1955-configuring-elys-uncapper/

hope you can figure it out :smile:

Stratgan

Well, first of all, you can bring potions for fire/frost resistance. At level 1, you aren't fighting the toughest dragons. Also, get a good companion with a nice bow. Now, you can also see about buying/enchanting a bow for frost/fire damage, and use the opposite from what the dragon is breathing. I also made a couple of slow potions to use against them. In this way of playing, there is no hack and slash. You have to play smart and pick your fights. Dragons are what you must prepare against the best, and you can spend alot of time doing so. This makes every fight you have with a dragon a non-trivial experience, which means you actually EARN those perks, making your progress that much more rewarding and immersive.

Try it out, it's really fun :)

Stratgan

Stupid question, but how do you kill a dragon at level 1

I guess you are not supposed to hunt dragons with no equipment

If you cant beat a bandit leader, you need a follower, right? And in vanilla you should be just fine, since enemies are same level as you are, which actually makes you a lot stronger. Since you get skill points and HP/MP/SP, but do not level up.

I wonder, though, if Stratgan uses any other mods, like increased damage or combat overhauls

Edited by Urtel

I don't get how this works.

All enemies are tied to your level.

So if you're level 1 with the stats of a level 20 character, doesn't that make you ridiculously overpowered?

After a few hours, the game should feel hopelessly boring and easy. No?

Or are you using some form of Scaling Stopper on top of that?

I don't get how this works.

Or are you using some form of Scaling Stopper on top of that?

Thats exactly what i think. There must be other mods that he did not mention.

All enemies are tied to your level.

So if you're level 1 with the stats of a level 20 character, doesn't that make you ridiculously overpowered?

Yes, and no.

Some dungeons, quests have a range of levels associated with them and lock the level the first time you enter them.

If you are level one and go into Bleak Falls Barrow, it has a (approx.) level rating of 1-5. So, if you enter it at level one, all the enemies in BFB are level one. If you go back when you are level 60, for example, all the enemies will only be level five, the max level for BFB. Enemies in BFB will never go beyond five (the max) which is why it is classified as an easy dungeon, regardless if it is part of any main quests (which it is, of course), or not.

Other ruins and places follow this system, but with a much higher range of levels e.g. Dwemer ruins and Falmer have a minimum level of 18, and it goes up from there. So, this is why characters lower than 18 will have a tough time in those places regardless of whether you are just randomly exploring, or going through them as part of a quest line like the College of Winterhold where you go get the Elder Scroll.

So, my guess is the challenge of playing the way the OP suggests will probably be the higher leveled dungeons & ruins that have higher minimum player level rating like the Dwemer ruins and other places that take place later on in the game's story line, but that are also static in terms of their higher level rating?

P.S. -- I tried some of the scaling stoppers and found they severely limit the free roam experience the game is built on since it turns the open world into strict encounter zones, even more so than the default game does. At least the vanilla game tries to level certain enemies whereas with scaling stoppers, you MUST be at certain levels to go certain places and do certain things which boxes you in.

Edited by MidevalGuy

Still, that vanilla system is just not logical. Why skeletons or draugrs or dwemer machines in one place are stronger than in another? No sense.

And what you suggested might look probable, except its not an immersive levelling at all, imho.

For me immersive means probable, and different levelled creatures in different parts of world is not that. At least for me.

And thats why there are many game overhauls.

The method described here makes mid-game much easier, low-level game stays same as vanilla, and high-level game should be really difficult

And now when i remember my first playthrough with no mods, it was easy on low levels, harder on medium (levelling longer, creeps stronger) and just absurd on high levels, since some enemies were one-hit dead, and others were beating crap out of me.

Also, another aspect: levelled lists will contain things for 1 level, unlevelled containers and unique items will be real treasures, but all enemies wil have low-level loot. Which makes sense in most cases.

Edited by Urtel