Voicing a companion, voice files work in GECK but not in game. WTF?

sleekblind

I have tried mp3, ogg, wav, all mono, 16-bit, 44khz, all of them work in GECK but every time I load up the game, my companion remains silent. I keep going through tutorials and I don't see that I am doing anything different than I should be. Companion has its own voice type, the quest with the dialogue has "getisvoicetype" condition set to this voicetype and "getisid" set to the npc, have tried with the voicetype "allow default dialogue" checked and unchecked... nothing seems to work.

The quest is running, the text shows up in game like it always has. Everything is in ESP form at the moment, I would have to rename the folder if/when i change to esm format. I have the voice files floating free, outside of the bsa, but I did try adding to the bsa at one point and it didn't help.

This IS my first time adding voice files to dialogue, by the way.

I've been following this tutorial to the letter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQCChzifyQ

I know the file paths and names are correct- I even went so far as to record a little sound in geck for each file, then overwrite geck's sounds with my own to ensure I had the right path/filename

This is the format you need to use:

- MP3
- Frequency: 44100 Hz
- Bit Rate: 64 kbps cbr (constant bit rate)
- Channels: mono

The Bit Rate HAS to be correct, or it won't work.

the mp3 files at that bit rate dont work in geck or ingame- but if I use the 128kbps mp3s they work in geck but not ingame, same with the 64kbs wav files

For dialog you use ogg or wav. Beth used ogg. Ogg files of 44100 Hz, 16 bit mono. When in doubt, extract some from the game BSA to see how they did it. I've processed a couple thousand of these over the years.

How are you creating or processing the sound files? Audacity? Did you generate LIP files - are the lips moving but no sound? Have you tried using one of them to replace a vanilla dialog to see if they work at all? Try to determine if it's the plugin or something strange with the clip. Maybe provide a link to a sample of one of the sound clips so somebody can look at it or try it.