Weird Ice on Water Texture

nrockwater

Could someone help me understand whats wrong here?

I assume its some sort of conflicting texture here, but SSEdit doesn't show me anything obvious when i search the ice's form ID.

Example: https://imgur.com/a/XIkr7O3

Load order is as follows:

0 0 Skyrim.esm
1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
6 6 ETaC - RESOURCES.esm
7 7 ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
8 8 FISS.esp
9 9 ApachiiHair.esm
10 a RealisticWaterTwo - Resources.esm
11 b Campfire.esm
12 c Falskaar.esm
13 d Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm
14 e FlowerGirls SE.esm
15 f Prometheus_No_snow_Under_the_roof.esp
16 10 SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
17 11 NSUTR_bugfixes.esp
18 12 TruBy9.esp
19 13 Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
20 14 3DNPC.esp
21 15 widescreen_skyui_fix.esp
22 16 Moonlight Tales Special Edition.esp
23 17 Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
24 18 VioLens SE.esp
25 19 AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
26 1a Immersive Weapons.esp
27 1b RLO - Exteriors.esp
28 1c ETaC - Complete.esp
29 1d JKs Skyrim.esp
30 1e AI Overhaul.esp
31 1f Cutting Room Floor.esp
32 20 Skyrim Immersive Creatures Special Edition.esp
33 21 Helgen Reborn.esp
34 22 Dr_Bandolier.esp
35 23 Skyrim Better Roads - The Rift.esp
36 24 RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp
254 FE 0 3DNPC - CRF Patch.esp
37 25 iHUD.esp
38 26 CBBE.esp
39 27 FNIS.esp
40 28 XPMSE.esp
41 29 SOSRaceMenu.esp
42 2a SOS - Smurf Average Addon.esp
43 2b SOS - VectorPlexus Regular Addon.esp
44 2c Smilodon - Combat of Skyrim.esp
45 2d MOD - Simply Better Movement Speeds (SSE).esp
254 FE 1 Smilodon-Immersive Weapons Patch.esp
254 FE 2 USSEP-Immersive Weapons Patch.esp
46 2e Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
47 2f Skyrim Better Roads - EastMarch.esp
48 30 icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp
49 31 Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
50 32 SimplyBiggerTreesSE.esp
254 FE 3 ETaC - Complete_JKs Skyrim_NSUTR_Patch.esp
51 33 Skyrim Better Roads and Bridges - All In One - Merged.esp
52 34 Run For Your Lives.esp
53 35 Cloaks.esp
54 36 Skyrim Better Roads - Winterhold.esp
55 37 Winterhold Restored.esp
56 38 Winterhold Restored - JKs Skyrim Patch.esp
57 39 Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
58 3a Cloaks - USSEP Patch.esp
59 3b Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
60 3c RDO - AFT v1.66 Patch.esp
254 FE 4 ETaC - Complete RLO Patch.esp
254 FE 5 JKs Skyrim - AI Overhaul Patch.esp
61 3d Immersive Patrols II.esp
62 3e Frostfall.esp
63 3f Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
64 40 WetandCold.esp
65 41 Winterhold Restored - NSUTR Patch.esp
66 42 Convenient Horses.esp
254 FE 6 AI Overhaul - Relationship Dialogue Overhaul Patch.esp
254 FE 7 3DNPC Alternative Locations.esp
254 FE 8 ETaC - Complete AI Overhaul Patch.esp
67 43 ForgottenCity.esp
254 FE 9 JKs Skyrim_Cutting Room Floor_Patch.esp
254 FE a No Snow Under The Roof - CRF Patch.esp
254 FE b AI Overhaul - Cutting Room Floor Patch.esp
254 FE c JKs Skyrim_RWT_Patch.esp
254 FE d 3DNPC - AI Overhaul Patch.esp
68 44 moonpath.esp
69 45 Ish's Souls to Perks.esp
254 FE e Forgotten City Music Fix.esp
254 FE f OBS_ClosingTime.esp
254 FE 10 HPP - FirewoodSnow Campfire.esp
254 FE 11 HPP - Vaermina's Torpor.esp
70 46 RLO - Effects.esp
71 47 Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp
72 48 Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim.esp
73 49 Apocalypse - Ordinator Compatibility Patch.esp
74 4a Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
75 4b RLO - Interiors.esp
76 4c RLO - Illuminated Spells.esp
77 4d RLO - CRF Patch.esp
78 4e Open Cities Skyrim.esp
79 4f JKs Skyrim_Open Cities_Patch.esp
254 FE 12 Open Cities - 3DNPC Patch.esp
80 50 RealisticWaterTwo.esp
81 51 RW2RND.esp
254 FE 13 RealisticWaterTwo - Alt Volcanic Watercolor.esp
82 52 SkyUI_SE.esp
Thanks!

Well, this IS ice (or at least it's supposed to be that). That lake definitely has ice on it.

This is most likely a texture. SSEEdit won't help you in this case, because it only shows conflicts between plugin files. Your best bet is to check your texture replacers: If you got a mod for snow / ice, make sure it overwrites other textures. Apart from that, you can only test: Disable texture replacers one by one, until you find the culprit.

Well, this IS ice (or at least it's supposed to be that). That lake definitely has ice on it.

This is most likely a texture. SSEEdit won't help you in this case, because it only shows conflicts between plugin files. Your best bet is to check your texture replacers: If you got a mod for snow / ice, make sure it overwrites other textures. Apart from that, you can only test: Disable texture replacers one by one, until you find the culprit.

Thanks Algabar,

Would enabling/disabling textures fry my save file? Really hoping not to lose this character.

Edited by nrockwater

AFAIK, enabling/disabling textures does not cause any problems, aside from getting the infamous purple shade on untextured items/surfaces. Just disable a texture package nearest the bottom of your LO, then load the game. If nothing has changed, quit the game, go back to your mod mgr, re-enable that texture mod, disable the next one up the ladder, rinse and repeat. As long as you do not save while checking, nothing will change permanently. Once you find the culprit, you might (should) be able to disable just the texture(s) by moving them into a folder called 'bad tx' somewhere in the mod folder. If it is Vortex, then you could reset your conflicts to overwrite the specific files, i.e. the one or several in the mod that is causing problems...

If the mod author fixes the problem, then just install the mod, overwriting the old.

In addition to 7531Leonidas: Changing textures and / or meshes during a playthrough is absolutely safe. In fact, you can even save your game while testing. Textures and meshes don't get stored in your save game file. So, nothing to worry about.

Just for the record: Uninstalling or changing plugin files is definitely NOT recommended. Missing or altered plugins can indeed screw up your save game.

Awesome thanks for the info guys. I'm using NMM ... and im wondering if this could be from RW2 or something similar. At risk of asking the obvious from a google search - How do i tell the difference between a texture mod and a plugin?

Awesome thanks for the info guys. I'm using NMM ... and im wondering if this could be from RW2 or something similar. At risk of asking the obvious from a google search - How do i tell the difference between a texture mod and a plugin?

"Plugin" means data files (usually in .esp, .esl or .esm format). They go to the Skyrim SE/data folder. Basically, plugins tell the game to change something, add something (e.g. weapons / armor, NPCs or locations) or do something (e.g. start a quest). So, if a mod contains .esp, .esl or .esm files, you have a mod with plugins.

Texture and mesh replacers do what their name suggests: They just replace texture or mesh files from the base game with something else. Basically they replace something in the Skyrim SEe/data/textures... or Skyrim SE/data/meshes... folder. The name of the file stays the same. If a mod e.g. replaces a snow texture, it would replace "snow.dds" with another file also named "snow.dds". For this kind of replacement you don't need a plugin file.

Regarding NMM: That makes it a bit more difficult. NMM has only basic functionality. This means, if two or more mods replace the same texture or mesh files, the mod installed last will always "win". So, in NMM the order of installation matters. More advanced mod managers like Vortex or MO2 let you choose on a "per file" basis, i.e. you can mix and match between different texture packs.

So, it's a bit a game of trial and error with NMM. RW2 probably isn't the culprit. AFAIK, it doesn't contain anything related to ice. I'd rather look at mods that change snow and ice. If you have something like that in your setup, reinstall it. This way, the mod would get installed "last" - and overwrite everything else. Apart from that, you can only test by uninstalling texture replacers one by one and trying different orders of installation...

"Plugin" means data files (usually in .esp, .esl or .esm format). They go to the Skyrim SE/data folder. Basically, plugins tell the game to change something, add something (e.g. weapons / armor, NPCs or locations) or do something (e.g. start a quest). So, if a mod contains .esp, .esl or .esm files, you have a mod with plugins.

Texture and mesh replacers do what their name suggests: They just replace texture or mesh files from the base game with something else. Basically they replace something in the Skyrim SEe/data/textures... or Skyrim SE/data/meshes... folder. The name of the file stays the same. If a mod e.g. replaces a snow texture, it would replace "snow.dds" with another file also named "snow.dds". For this kind of replacement you don't need a plugin file.

Regarding NMM: That makes it a bit more difficult. NMM has only basic functionality. This means, if two or more mods replace the same texture or mesh files, the mod installed last will always "win". So, in NMM the order of installation matters. More advanced mod managers like Vortex or MO2 let you choose on a "per file" basis, i.e. you can mix and match between different texture packs.

So, it's a bit a game of trial and error with NMM. RW2 probably isn't the culprit. AFAIK, it doesn't contain anything related to ice. I'd rather look at mods that change snow and ice. If you have something like that in your setup, reinstall it. This way, the mod would get installed "last" - and overwrite everything else. Apart from that, you can only test by uninstalling texture replacers one by one and trying different orders of installation...

Thanks again for the detailed breakdown. perhaps ill look at switching to Vortex or MO2 sometime in the future. for now i'll try tinkering around a bit!

Following up in case someone has this issue. It appears that Skyrim Skyrim 2018 by Pfuscher was the culprit. since i do like most of the textures from this pack i decided to keep it and also added Skyrim Remastered - Glaciers and Ice.

Not a perfect match because the snow color is slightly off, but good enough for me to continue playing :D

Pic for anyone who wants to see the comparison: https://imgur.com/a/O4XgaIf