HELP I've screwed up my journal

dennypayne

Hi all,

Well I've somehow royally screwed up my journal so that it shows all the quests I've already done as active, and I appear to be missing a few current ones as well.

Here's what I did.... I noticed that my saved games directory was getting quite large and was taking forever to populate the list when I used the Load function at the beginning of the games. (They are all save points from the same game). So I decided to archive all the saved games except the last 10 or so that I'd done lately.

Then when I reloaded the last saved game, that is when this problem started. All quests that I had done showed up in the journal as active, so I no longer can tell what's current and what's not. Also as I said I think a few were missing (I know for a fact the Redoran Redas Tomb quest was not in the list and it should have been, and in fact the Topic Redas Tomb was available with the info, just not in the quest list).

So, I figured, OK, I'll move the saved games back and put it back the way it was. That magnified the problem even more, so that now I got an error message when I tried to start the game on every quest, and it dumped it all into warnings.txt. Here is a snip of the warnings.txt file:

QuestName info in Journal "A1_6_AddhiranirrInformant" has no name string.

QuestName info in Journal "A1_11_ZainsubaniInformant" has no name string.

QuestName info in Journal "A1_2_AntabolisInformant" has no name string.

QuestName info in Journal "MS_JobashaAbolitionist" has no name string.

QuestName info in Journal "HH_DestroyIndarysManor" has no name string.

QuestName info in Journal "TG_SadrithMoraDefenses" has no name string.

QuestName info in Journal "HT_ChroniclesNchuleft" has no name string.

etc, etc.

And it asked "continue running executable?" ... I eventually gave up on that, pulled the saved games out again, and now the game doesn't error out and is playable, but back to the journal problem.

So, first off, can this be fixed and how so? Secondly, I'm assuming based on what happened here that the game saves quest info at each save point but relies on the previous save points being there to be able to read whether a quest has been done or not. If this is correct, should I just suck it up and keep saving the game into the same file each time rather than creating a new save game every time I want to save? Or is there any safe way to archive old save points?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure I gave all the info I could...

Denny

Get MWEE (Main Package, Manual), open your save (back up first), and kill all QUES records. This will purge both the "Active" and "Show All" views of the quest list. As soon as you get a new journal entry for any of your active quests, that quest will show up in the "Active" quest view once again.

However, it could be that this is just an indication of a greater problem... Have you installed expansions and patches in the correct order? Are you using an executable that is not of the same version as your masters (*cough* No-CD Patch)?

Thanks for the reply, I'm d/l now....

I have GOTY edition so everything should be kosher with expansions/patches (1820), and I'm not using a different executable. Not running any mods either (yet).

I did manage to figure out that if I did this in the console:

player->journal A1_11_ZainsubaniInformant 100

that it would fix that particular quest (takes it out of active and grays it out in Show All). So I suppose that I could do that for every quest so far and then I would get back to where I was, but that would be a bit tedious for sure. (I found that I could export the dialogue list in the Construction Set to get all the quest names).

Am I correct in my original assumption though that it only saves changed journal entries in each save game and not the whole thing? How else would moving the save games cause this corruption?

Denny

Get MWEE (Main Package, Manual), open your save (back up first), and kill all QUES records.  This will purge both the "Active" and "Show All" views of the quest list.  As soon as you get a new journal entry for any of your active quests, that quest will show up in the "Active" quest view once again.

However, it could be that this is just an indication of a greater problem...  Have you installed expansions and patches in the correct order?  Are you using an executable that is not of the same version as your masters (*cough* No-CD Patch)?

Archived