Nvidia: best cards on the market right now?

So what would you guys think is the best Nvidia card-price on the market right now. I am going the way of Nvidia by the end of Christmas, and i want something that has the power to play any game as if it was a 3d flash game. I may go with a gtx780, its a cheaper version of the titan, but the gtx690 has a much higher memory bandwidth and its dual chip gpu.

I just need a second opinion before i save or take out a second mortgage for a Titan or a gtx690 lol.

Still the 780 is looking good right now..

i still want to go single gpu this time around, for other things like sound card and stuff.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8181478&CatId=7387

Edited by Thor.

A GTX 780 is marginally weaker than a Titan, as a warning.

That said, if you go for a 780 I'd recommend at least 4GB of VRAM, since unlike weaker cards it actually has the bandwidth to use it.

Question, how well do the gtx scale in sli, is it worth getting a second card???. Considering its weaker then a titan alone, but just how much of a difference is it??.

I found a comparison video, but at that resolution i would never go that High, even in a multi monitor setup.

heaven benchmarks, random person specs, of course can vary depending on specs.

One thing though, the radeons do shine when it comes to fps in Heaven, i usually max it around 92fps to 120-230fps depending on the area,

Though the drivers alone is buggier then all get out, stable fps in skyrim is almost impossible with microstuttering,

One of these days when i do go 4k lol, i then might go sli, if i could still find the exact card, that's the tricky part.

Edited by Thor.

Question, how well do the gtx scale in sli, is it worth getting a second card???. Considering its weaker then a titan alone, but just how much of a difference is it??.

I found a comparison video, but at that resolution i would never go that High, even in a multi monitor setup.

heaven benchmarks, random person specs, of course can vary depending on specs.

One thing though, the radeons do shine when it comes to fps in Heaven, i usually max it around 92fps to 120-230fps depending on the area,

Though the drivers alone is buggier then all get out, stable fps in skyrim is almost impossible with microstuttering,

One of these days when i do go 4k lol, i then might go sli, if i could still find the exact card, that's the tricky part.

I'm not sure about the 7xx line, but the 6xx line is supposed to get about 90% returns in performance from 2x SLI.

I don't run SLI, so I don't know firsthand, just what anyone could find online.

Edited by Rennn

I can go as far as quad sli, but my case only allows 2 at max. I am just going to get one, the fps at that resolution almost maxed out is impressive, i couldn't do that with two radeon 7950's, not even close.

i couldn't find any with 4gb of ram, but this one particular model has dual fans like the gigabyte triple fan setups some cards have.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8181478&CatId=7387

the specs are disappointing coming from a next gen gpu from amd, if they really wanted to push the boundaries they could of left the gtx780 in the water.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8573836&Sku=RSC-102014586

the gtx780 has 300 more stream processors.

Interface Type PCI Express 3.0
Interface Speed x16
Connector(s) 1 x HDMI
2 x Mini DisplayPort
1 x Dual-Link DVI-I
Multiple Monitors Support Yes
Max. Monitors Supported 6
Lifestyle
Chipset AMD Radeon
GPU Series AMD Radeon R9
Lifestyle Performance
Performance
GPU/VPU AMD Radeon R9 280X
Additional Features AMD HD3D Technology
AMD PowerPlay Technology
AMD Eyefinity
AMD CrossFire
Video Card Profile Dual-Slot
Memory
Memory Type GDDR5
Memory Interface 384-bit
Video Memory 3GB
Stream Processors 2048
Core Clock 1000 MHz
Memory Clock 6000 MHz
Features
Overclocked Yes
APIs OpenGL 4.3
DirectX 11.2
1080p Support Yes
Video Output DVI
HDMI
Mini DisplayPort
Low Profile No
Cooling Type Fan
Multi-GPU Support CrossFire

Its official i am going the way of the gtx780, amd has lost there chance with me, even when mantle is around the corner, api change wouldn't matter much with this beast of a card.

Edited by Thor.

the specs are disappointing coming from a next gen gpu from amd, if they really wanted to push the boundaries they could of left the gtx780 in the water.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8573836&Sku=RSC-102014586

the gtx780 has 300 more stream processors.

:facepalm: Thor, let me teach you something - when you're comparing cards, compare them to the same-priced equivalent of the other manufacturer. So a 350$ AMD (R9 280X) should be compared to a 350$ Nvidia (GTX 670). A 350$ AMD should not be compared to a 700$ Nvidia.

The R9 280X is 357$, the GTX 780 is 670$. And you're saying a 700$ card is faster than a 350$ card? Well no s*** Sherlock, might as well go compare Radeon 5450 to Nvidia Tesla then say how AMD made a crappy card... :rolleyes:

On the other hand, the R9 280X is a great value for the money, seeing how it gives a good performance (cuts close to 7970) at a reasonable price. As for comparison with a GTX 780, wait for the R9 290X - the AMD flagship card to come out (which is rumored to be faster than Titan, and should come out pretty soon), then compare it to the GTX 780. :armscrossed:

I already seen the specs for the x290, not impressed. They even say its like the dubbed 8 series with recycled parts.

those specs at tigerdirect are the final specs and judging from many sources its not living up to expectations, they say the 7900 are almost identical, except for memory bandwidth.

its written right here.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/168223-amd-r9-and-r7-gpus-a-bold-new-direction-for-2014-that-uses-old-rebadged-chips-from-2012

I'm going nvidia because i miss the driver support, heck even the graphics seem smoother when doing comparison shots.

thats why i am comparing the two.
the performance in regards to fps could be in theory almost the same as the 7900 series.

----

Edited by Thor.

Look, the R9 series are based on the 7xxx chips, just like the re-branded 8xxx series. The difference is that they are better optimized since the 20nm production process still didn't reach stable if I recall correctly. As for R9 290X, it won't be a re-made Southern Islands, it's a new architecture. And when you think about it, these new R9 chips are cheaper than the similarly-performing 7xxx series, meaning these have a better price/performance ratio. That might not mean much to someone buying a 1000$ card, but it means a lot to a bunch of people, me included.

It seems to me like AMD didn't pull the performance up and smack a hell of a price-tag on those, instead they slightly boosted the performance of the old series and sell them cheaper as new series, which business-wise, is a really good move. This way instead of selling 10 500$ cards, you sell 20 300$ cards, 5000$ < 6000$ is a simple math. This will only rile up the fanboys and uber-performance seeking guys, but I care little about them, they got their Titans, 690s and 7990s, but guys on a budget will be happy with R9s.

And the title of this thread is "best cards", but the term "best" is subjective to views. For me, best means a cheap card that performs well, for you it means the best performing single-card, regardless of money. As I already told you, the fastest single-card solutions are the Radeon 7990 and GTX 690 (dual-chip single cards) or GTX Titan and GTX 780 (single-chip cards). R9s are re-branded budget solutions and you can't compare them to the GTX 780/Titan which are derived from the latest line of Nvidia workstation chips (Tesla) and cost 2-3x more than R9s.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'd wait if I were you. If you''re determined to get an Nvidia card, wait, with the R9 series coming out cheap it may be enough for Nvidia to drop prices in order to stay competitive, which means they might just drop the 780s price as well. I can smell the price drops, but my sense of smell fools me occasionally so it might be a dud. :confused:

Edited by Werne

both r9 290x and r9 290 are new architecture and its been said that they will compete with the titan and gtx 780 in performance but at a much cheaper price

driver wise nvidia is by far the best when it comes to performance (lets face it amd drivers suck)but i actually prefer amd i had my share of troubles with nvidia...