Custom Character

cazupe

I am new to Morrowind, and I've never played Oblivion either. After playing a Pilgrim character for a few (explored Seyda Nenn, cleared a cave with some bad guys and reached Balmora, explored the whole place and delivered the package of the first quest, discovering what it was about...), I decided to read on about skills, attributes, spells and combat and make a custom character for myself.

I do understand this is not something very good for a noobie like me, but I think I didn't go too wrong. Would some more experienced character mind checking this?

The thing was that I enjoyed playing my Pilgrim, but I didn't want to be a Stealth character! And then, reading on Nightblade, I liked the idea, but I missed having Restoration and Alchemy. Also, I find that Light Armor is enough, not liking the Medium Armor from the Pilgrim. In combat, I'd like to use a bow, a shor blade if necessary, and use spells to protect myself and maybe make my enemies' life more difficult, but not use magic for damage.

Class: Haven't picked the name yet! Maybe "Arcane Archer", just to remember some old old D&D adventure I once played... but then the name sounds wierd with my specializations. Thing is I want a Nightblade who uses a bow more then a blade, and has spells not to deal damage, but to help myself defeat my enemies and make my life easier. Thinking of that, I picked the following:

Race: Night Elf / Dunmer. I am in doubt if a Wood Elf / Bosmer would be better since I want to use the bow to kill and the spells just to assist me in combat.

Specialization: Magic.

Attributes: Personality and Willpower. None of these help me with the bow, I know, but I believe it wouldn't be a bad way to progress.

Major Skills:

- Light Armor (Speed)

- Speechcraft (Personality)

- Marksman (Agility)

- Restoration (Willpower)

- Alteration (Willpower)

Minor Skills:

- Alchemy (Intelligence)

- Unarmored (Speed) -> Would replace*

- Short Blade (Speed)

- Illusion (Personality)

- Mercantile (Personality) -> Would replace*

*I would replace one of those for Mysticism. If both are good to be replaced, open for suggestions.

Big doubt on skills:

1: Why some classes have Unarmored AND some other kind of armor? To give the player an option or so that you can, let's say, use armor on your chest, legs, feet and hands but not on your head (the helms are too ulgy I won't pu one on my elf... yeah I'm silly like that).

2: [THIS IS A SPOILER ABOUT AND NPC, CAREFUL IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE GAME]: ------------- Does you-know-who-ugly-NPC make the Mercantile skill useless as a Minor or Major skill?

Factions:

I want to go with the Mage's guild. Doubt is: can I pick one of the Houses too? Or one of the Imperial factions at the same time? (or course paying attention to those relationships between them). Any suggestions?

I think that is it. Hope someone can help me =)

Well, I can answer your faction question. I've joined the Mages' Guild and the Thieves' Guild already, as well as the Blades and the Temple, and I know you're allowed to join one Great House as well (though there's a way you can get to join two). I'm pretty sure you can join all the factions, it's just that as you rise through the ranks, the tasks will put you into conflict with some of your other factions, so you can either pick a side and advance to the top with that side, while alienating the other, or you can just halt your progress at the point before you'd be antagonising the other side.

• 2 months later...
I am new to Morrowind, and I've never played Oblivion either. After playing a Pilgrim character for a few (explored Seyda Nenn, cleared a cave with some bad guys and reached Balmora, explored the whole place and delivered the package of the first quest, discovering what it was about...), I decided to read on about skills, attributes, spells and combat and make a custom character for myself.

I do understand this is not something very good for a noobie like me, but I think I didn't go too wrong. Would some more experienced character mind checking this?

The thing was that I enjoyed playing my Pilgrim, but I didn't want to be a Stealth character! And then, reading on Nightblade, I liked the idea, but I missed having Restoration and Alchemy. Also, I find that Light Armor is enough, not liking the Medium Armor from the Pilgrim. In combat, I'd like to use a bow, a shor blade if necessary, and use spells to protect myself and maybe make my enemies' life more difficult, but not use magic for damage.

Class: Haven't picked the name yet! Maybe "Arcane Archer", just to remember some old old D&D adventure I once played... but then the name sounds wierd with my specializations. Thing is I want a Nightblade who uses a bow more then a blade, and has spells not to deal damage, but to help myself defeat my enemies and make my life easier. Thinking of that, I picked the following:

Race: Night Elf / Dunmer. I am in doubt if a Wood Elf / Bosmer would be better since I want to use the bow to kill and the spells just to assist me in combat.

Specialization: Magic.

Attributes: Personality and Willpower. None of these help me with the bow, I know, but I believe it wouldn't be a bad way to progress.

Major Skills:

- Light Armor (Speed)

- Speechcraft (Personality)

- Marksman (Agility)

- Restoration (Willpower)

- Alteration (Willpower)

Minor Skills:

- Alchemy (Intelligence)

- Unarmored (Speed) -> Would replace*

- Short Blade (Speed)

- Illusion (Personality)

- Mercantile (Personality) -> Would replace*

*I would replace one of those for Mysticism. If both are good to be replaced, open for suggestions.

Big doubt on skills:

1: Why some classes have Unarmored AND some other kind of armor? To give the player an option or so that you can, let's say, use armor on your chest, legs, feet and hands but not on your head (the helms are too ulgy I won't pu one on my elf... yeah I'm silly like that).

2: [THIS IS A SPOILER ABOUT AND NPC, CAREFUL IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE GAME]: ------------- Does you-know-who-ugly-NPC make the Mercantile skill useless as a Minor or Major skill?

Factions:

I want to go with the Mage's guild. Doubt is: can I pick one of the Houses too? Or one of the Imperial factions at the same time? (or course paying attention to those relationships between them). Any suggestions?

I think that is it. Hope someone can help me =)

if you got the Construoction set you can make custom a race class sign factions npc houses new islands and a whole bunch of stuff!

• 1 year later...

Dark Elf = Rounded character

Redguard = Warrior

Bosmer = Archer

If you don't mind having a bit of a weakness to magic, then Altmer are a good choice for a mage character, but I personally reccomend the Bretons. Good bonus to magic while not being completely vulnerable to it either.

Pick Light Armor or Heavy Armor, as practically every piece of good enchanted gear is one of the two. I have yet to come across a nice enchanted medium armor piece, and unarmored is useless, unless you want to run around smiting your enemies in the nude (not recommended). Long Blade or Short blade. Pick one. There are some okay blunt weapons out there, same for axes, but the majority of sexy items are either LB or SB.

Here's a great reason to pick SB: http://uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Fang_of_Haynekhtnamet

As well, two awesome claymores that require LB:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Chrysamere

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Umbra_Sword

Now, you can argue that Sunder makes blunt weapon worthwhile, but by the time you have Sunder you're so high level you can just pay for Blunt training.

Do not take Personality and Willpower. Speed, Agility, Strength, or Luck.

I'm also a bit loopy so take this advice with caution.